The person in this role is responsible for the oversight of the Business & Legal Affairs unit within the Business department.
Winner of more than 40 Emmy Awards, ITVS is public media’s leading incubator and presenter of documentary film. We partner with filmmakers who bring untold stories to public broadcasting to make a difference in the world. For over 25 years, we’ve been committed to diversity on both sides of the camera, helping filmmakers tell and share vital stories that are reflective of our society. Two-thirds of our filmmakers, and more than half of our staff, are people of color.
Summary: Vice President of Business Affairs
The person in this role is responsible for the oversight of the Business & Legal Affairs unit within the Business department. Key responsibilities include: managing a team to execute and inventory agreements acquiring and licensing rights primarily in filmed media; collaborating with team leaders in the content finance, development, content strategy, acquisition, production, marketing, and distribution teams to implement and lead deals to support ITVS’s content goals and initiatives; assist with ongoing strategy development; connect with senior management and key external stakeholders, including funders, rights licensors, co-production financiers, and sublicensee distributors and exhibitors, and outside counsel; and help operationalize and reform deal constructs.
- Serve as key member of senior leadership team cultivating cross-functional relationships providing insight and direction around legal and business strategies.
- Structure and manage the negotiation and execution of various types of content-related television and short-form content deals with production companies, talent representatives, content creators/owners, production financiers, and distributors/exhibitors of film and television programs.
- Collaborate closely with content and business teams and work cross-functionally on content strategy, production, finance, information technology, audience development, and marketing, and on initiatives designed to evolve and grow ITVS’s content offerings.
- Advise on and implement business policies and best practices in the purview of the business & legal affairs team.
- Maintain awareness of recent developments and trends in law, technology, and the industry as they relate to ITVS’s business.
- Oversee the management of attorneys, business affairs professionals, and administrative support staff.
- Develop and manage systems for inventorying contracts and rights.
- Other duties may need to be performed on an as-needed basis.
- Demonstrated commitment to social impact work and engagement in a variety of social, economic, and cultural perspectives
- Commitment to principles associated with diversity and inclusion, and to supporting the voices and visions of underrepresented communities, and to communicating the interests and concerns of a diverse society
- Ability to orchestrate, implement and coordinate deal pipeline processes and deal structure templates
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work successfully in business environments with multiple partners
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical capabilities, sound judgment, practical and solution-oriented
- Self-motivated and self-directed with demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and think strategically
- Excellent interpersonal skills and “can do” attitude, and an ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and cross-functionally, and to bring out the best in colleagues
- Ability to stay focused, highly organized, pay close attention to details and produce reliable results
- Adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, and constantly changing environment
- Ability to provide constructive, critical advice and feedback to leadership on policies/practices, and an ability to effectively execute leadership’s policy decisions once made
- Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise, and to adapt and pivot role as business grows and changes
- An ability to build teams and relationships, and to cultivate and develop knowledge and skills of supervisees and colleagues, and to design sustainable, interdependent, cross-departmental systems for managing the work and sharing information under the purview of the team
- A business and strategy-oriented mindset
APPLY AT: itvs.org/about/jobs
- Required: BA/BS from an accredited college or university.
- Required: Juris Doctor and qualified to practice law in California.
- Required: Experience overseeing a team of legal/business affairs professionals managing entertainment industry contracts.
- Required: 8+ years of entertainment industry business affairs/legal affairs experience working and negotiating with rights holders (including agents, lawyers, managers), content creators, production companies, production financiers, and distributors/exhibitors
- Preferred: Qualified to practice law in California.
- Preferred: MBA from an accredited college or university.
- Preferred: Demonstrated interest in filmed media
- Preferred: proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, and experience with MFiles, NetSuite, Filmtrack, and Asana.