We're seeking an experienced Podcast Producer who knows how to tell captivating, original stories from start to finish.
Are you curious and creative? Are you a great writer? Do you love to produce audio stories about exploration and discovery? If so, come join our growing podcast team at Overheard at National Geographic, a show where we talk with the explorers, scientists, writers and photographers at the edges of our big, weird, and beautiful world. Our award-winning, interview-based, narrative podcast has had more than 5 million downloads in three seasons and is consistently ranked one of the most popular science podcasts being produced today.
We're seeking an experienced Podcast Producer who knows how to tell captivating, original stories from start to finish. The Producer will work closely with the Senior Editor, Senior Producer, and the show's hosts to create compelling stories. Our story approach is playful, so the ability to have fun with storytelling is a must.
The ideal candidate is creative, curious, a team player, well-organized, self-motivated, data enthusiast, and a rigorous journalist. They are skilled at writing for the ear and can make complex ideas understandable and approachable. They are great at accepting feedback and always practice respectful communication. A background in reporting/interviewing is a plus.
- Develop compelling narrative story arcs for short-form, weekly podcast.
- Engage in all stages of the production process, including research, reporting, pitching, interviewing, cutting tape, scripting, editing, scoring, and mixing.
- Develop and coach hosts and contributor talent.
- Work closely with Senior Producer, Senior Editor, other producers, and hosts to develop episodes.
- Research story ideas and find compelling guests to tell the story.
- Book guests for engaging and informative interviews.
- Supporting our data-first approach via Airtable
- Handle recording logistics, including occasionally complex recording logistics (working with remote producers and studios).
- Collaborate on live episodes of Overheard, taped in front of an audience.
- Maintain the journalism ethics of National Geographic at all time.
- Five years of experience producing podcasts/radio.
- Experience crafting story arcs that transform complex ideas in an engaging way.
- Strong research and journalism skills.
- Demonstrated success in the creation of superb content under pressure.
- Creative and resourceful self-starter who can work independently and collaboratively and juggle multiple projects at one time .
- Top-notch organizational skills, attention to detail, and time management.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent .
- Excellent skills in ProTools audio editing software.
- Experience reporting science, environment, and social science stories.