WDIO-TV: Shoot video and edit news stories for newscasts on a daily basis.
Mar 23, 2022
- Shoot steady, sequenced video with good, clean audio for news, weather and sports for daily newscasts, specials and station websites as well as social media under tight deadlines. Edit in camera for sequences. Uses movement off the shoulder to show viewers what is seen in the field and a tripod or steady bag for steady shots. Shoots wide, medium and tight shots with a variety of subjects for the purpose of telling the story through pictures.
- While shooting, get clean audio and sound. Gather great natural sound while in the field. Ensure good lighting, making sure the shot is bright and not dark.
- Edit video and audio satisfactorily for news stories such as vos, vo/sots, setups and reporter pacs using difference techniques and different editing machines (including non-linear editing) under tight deadlines and in stressful situations while completing on time. Editing is done in house and in live trucks. Learn and perform competently multi-layering and special effects such as witness protection, highlighting video clips, color correction, and picture in picture effects. Aspire to editing excellence to raise the level of storytelling.
- At times, may conduct interviews for broadcast with formulating questions. May also use questions supplied by producers, reporter or news management.
- Work in tandem with a Reporter to "tell" a story.
- Learn and operate effectively and satisfactorily new technology and equipment including but not limited to Panasonic P2 camera, servers, editing equipment.
- Communicate frequently throughout the day and works collaboratively with others in the newsroom including reporters, anchors, producers, assignment desk staff, creative services and other photographers about assigned story and other assignments. Check in face to face with Assignment Desk when returns to station from an assignment. Proactively pitch in to assist others.
- Respond and work well in a crisis and during breaking news. Handle last minute and unexpected changes. Communicate quickly and clearly to necessary staff and talent.
- Attend editorial and other meetings. Come prepared to meetings and interact professionally with others. Contributes story ideas on a daily basis.
- Is knowledgeable of local, national and world events. Has a handle on what is going on in the community.
- Work assigned shifts. Shifts may change often. Fill in for absent co-workers if needed. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules including when called to cover breaking news, as assigned by the Chief Photographer or News Director.
- Drive company vehicle to and from stories under various driving conditions. Obey all traffic laws and safety rules of the road while in a company vehicle. Report any problems or concerns with the vehicle and traffic incidents promptly to appropriate company representative. If assigned to take a news vehicle home, must follow take home car guidelines which included securing equipment and vehicle. Keep car clean and in good condition. Ensure equipment is in good working condition.
- Build working relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors and the general public.
- Act in a professional, courteous manner when representing the station and the news department. Look presentable and neat on the job.
- Must be proficient with current broadcast cameras & editing software, but will train. Has knowledge and expertise in non-linear editing.
- Ability to work alone and with a Reporter.
- Must be reliable and able work additional hours if needed as well as travel as required.
- Must possess valid driver's license and clean driving record as determined by the Company.
- Good news judgment and thorough understanding of daily news content.
- Ability to read, write and speak English well.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to work in areas and conditions that are often noisy, have many distractions, and in extreme weather (heat and cold) and landscape conditions. Must be able listen to and respond verbally to others in English. Must have manual dexterity to operate camera and editing equipment. Must be able to move quickly inside and outside on uneven, unfamiliar terrain and areas. Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations. Must be able to lift, carry and move with up to 50lbs in many environments including outdoors and in extreme weather conditions. Must be able to drive news vehicles. Able to stand for long periods of time.