The Photographer is an experienced video photographer who excels at storytelling through outstanding visuals and audio and is able to provide strong live coverage.
They should have the skills to occasionally perform duties of a Multi-Media Journalist (MMJ). They should have creative skills, technical knowledge and experience using broadcast photographer equipment. The ideal applicant will also have broadcast writing skills and presentation skills. Photojournalists should use social media platforms fluently and have a solid understanding of streaming technologies. They must also be able to embrace other technologies as they develop.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Provides strong live coverage.
- Excels at storytelling through outstanding visuals and audio.
- Possesses accomplished skills in News Photography, lighting, audio and remote broadcast concepts.
- Maintains proficient non-linear video editing skills.
- Understands a story's focus, pursuing outstanding visuals and sound in order to tell the story.
- Uses social media platforms fluently and in accordance with KIRO procedures and strategy.
- Have a strong understanding of streaming technologies as they apply to streaming back live video from the field.
- Post story updates to social media platforms are they develop stories.
- Embraces digital technologies as they develop.
- Supports the KIRO Mission and Values Statements and to represent KIRO in a highly professional manner.
- Collaborates with other KIRO employees in a professional, positive and helpful manner so as to ensure an efficient workflow.
- Is accountable for assigned equipment and its state of readiness.
- Operates KIRO’s remote broadcast equipment, including, but not limited to, ENG vans, microwave systems and satellite uplinks.
- Is conversant with nationally recognized standards for photojournalistic ethics.
- Strives for self-improvement through professional and personal training.
- Maintains knowledge of regional geography and current events and people in the news.
- Maintains a basic understanding of Newsroom computer systems and KIRO voice mail and data systems.
- Consistently displays professional conduct and dress, adhering to KIRO standards.
- Attends all training sessions as requested.
- Maintains a valid Washington State driver’s license and clean driving record.
What We Look For
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Has the skills of a journalist: the ability to ask pertinent questions and to act independently when necessary and appropriate.
- Creative skills, technical knowledge and experience using broadcast photography equipment.
- Proficient at shooting, editing, and using FTP and ENG transmission equipment.
- Experience with Avid Media Composer preferred.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively as a member of a reporter/photographer team under deadline pressure.
- Strong communication skills.
- Skills of a Multimedia Journalist or MMJ: Has the ability to shoot, edit, write, and voice a story.
- Broadcast writing skills and presentation skills.
- Ability to present self-generated stories in live and edited video formats.
- High familiarity with social media platforms and how these platforms are used in a newsroom environment.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License, in good standing, is required
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3 years of television newscast experience as a photographer on daily newsgathering assignment in the field with and without a reporter preferred.