WOOD TV8 is looking for a digital reporter/digital streaming host. This person will produce daily content for the woodtv.com website as well as interview guests live at the station’s digital Live Desk daily. This person may also produce content, which will air on our WOOD TV8 newscasts.
Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan Area
Jul 15, 2022
Candidates should have a strong writing and reporting background, a nose for news and developing stories independently, an ability to build relationships with sources and communicate effectively with them, an interest in learning and using new media technology, strong editorial judgment, and be comfortable interviewing experts on-air including handling breaking news coverage.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is comfortable working with minimal direction. This person will work independently for the most part but may also collaborate with colleagues and must be able to quickly accept direction, especially in breaking news situations.
There may be opportunities to develop a digital series for woodtv.com and podcast hosting/co-hosting opportunities.
- Write daily digital stories for woodtv.com
- Daily Live Desk interviews
- Manage livestreams
- Develop and sustain relationships with local experts
- Plan and schedule editorial content for the Live Desk
- Develop digital content
- Contribute to editorial content planning
- Build a positive working relationship with digital director, digital executive producer and newsroom staff
- Learn new technology as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, broadcasting or a related field
- Two to three years of experience in broadcast and/or digital media
- Proficiency with Open Broadcaster streaming software, Adobe Premiere Pro, and ENPS software a plus
- Strong news judgment and commitment to ethical storytelling
- Capable of researching, interviewing and writing original news articles
- Comfortable on-air and conducting live interviews. Should be able to adjust tone and style to fit the interview/storytelling you are conducting.
- Strong communicator and collaborator
- Proficiency in WordPress
- A desire to grow and learn
- Knowledgeable of AP Stylebook, grammar and SEO
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple assignments on deadline
- Professional demeanor
This is a full-time position with the digital team and reports to the digital director and the digital executive producer. This role is typically dayside, but there may be days when you need to adjust your schedule to accommodate breaking news, livestreams, specials, etc. This could include occasional evenings, weekend and holiday hours.