TheGrio is looking for a daily news writer with an emphasis on Black stories from across America.
Greater Atlanta Area
Apr 22, 2022
The ideal candidate will write 1-2 daily news stories, with a particular emphasis on breaking original stories. The position is based in Atlanta.
- Write a daily story with original reporting each day covering the Black experience domestically.
- Stay up to date on relevant trends, stories and experiences that impact Black Americans.
- Coordinate story parameters with Managing Editor.
- Strong knowledge of current events.
- Research and craft stories in a way that resonates with our audiences.
- Coordinate the licensing and creation of photography, graphics and videos.
- Communicate critical story information with producers and managers.
- Diligently maintains schedules and workflows.
- Pitch daily story ideas.
- Knowledge and passion for the culture, history and current affairs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and take initiative.
- 3 years experience in daily news writing for newspaper or digital media.
- Solid news judgment and grasp of journalism best practices.
- Excellent writing skills, spelling and grammar.
- Ability to work well with others under strict deadlines.
- Maintains ethical journalism standards.
- Works as a team player capable of clearly communicating with key stakeholders.
- Has a firm understanding of rights and clearances.
- Bachelor's degree required.