Simon & Schuster is seeking an Associate Art Director to design and layout nonfiction 4 color illustrated books (cookbooks, lifestyle) in the adult division. This person will be involved in, on average, 15-20 high end 4 color projects each year.
Greater New York City Area
Feb 17, 2023
• Designing and laying out an average of 4 4C illustrated books a season
• Assisting the AD in overseeing freelancers who will be designing the remainder
• Assisting the AD in providing direction and management for photoshoots when applicable
• Color proofing their pages
• Working with the AD on jackets
An ideal candidate:
• Is an Adobe InDesign expert and book design enthusiast
• Is a talented designer with experience designing covers and interiors for non fiction 4 color projects in cooking and lifestyle.
• A sharp eye and excellent execution skills in typography, color, and layout
• Is able to work at all levels, from inputting corrections to building well-structured InDesign files for their own original designs
• Understands how their composition work impacts downstream processes, including ebook production and future print editions
• Will work collaboratively with Design Director and Creative Director to ensure the interior and cover complement each other.
• Will work collaboratively with Production Editorial to ensure the manuscript and InDesign document are coded complementarily and coding best practices are applied rigorously from manuscript to finished InDesign files
• Understands book production and printing standards
• Will work with outside freelancers to oversee their work. Assist the creative director in overseeing photo shoots.
• 3+ years of layout experience in Adobe InDesign; expert in InDesign
• 3 year or more of experience designing original book interiors and covers
• Solid understanding of book composition standards
• Ability to read and implement proofreader’s marks
• Experience manipulating illustrations and photos in Photoshop
• Experience creating and manipulating vector art in Illustrator
The annual salary for this position is $85,000.00 - 94,000.00