Televisa Univision is seeking a Freelance News Writer for their local newscast in Chicago, Illinois to produce award-winning content for the Spanish language broadcast network.
Univision Chicago is looking for a Freelance News Writer to join our team!
Televisa Univision is seeking a Freelance News Writer for their local newscast in Chicago, Illinois to produce award-winning content for the Spanish language broadcast network. Univision Chicago‘s Newscast at 5pm and 10pm is a market leader despite language in the 3rd largest market in English and 6th largest market in Spanish.
Candidate will need to possess a strong understanding of compelling storytelling across all platforms, production workflows and be able to lead in high stress situations. Strong preference is given to individuals with market experience or an understanding of Chicago Hispanic demographics, geography, and newsmakers in the market.
This position will be responsible for working on the daily production of news programs including newscasts and special coverages. The writer will be required to work on the daily news rundown, editorial input and writing of intros and other stories. In addition, the successful candidate needs to be able to translate aptly from English to Spanish, copy-edit news stories, revise spelling for graphics and supers and work with producers with informational banners for the newscasts. The writer needs to have quick reaction to breaking news and news updates. The candidate should maintain good and clear communication with managers as well as the producer, executive producer, anchors, production and digital team, assignment desk and technical crews.
Candidate should be very familiar with digital technology and social media and be committed to continue advancing their skills in a changing environment.
- Excellent writing skills
- Copy-edit news stories
- Writing for multiplatform and tailoring to each one
- Translate aptly from English to Spanish
- Revise spelling for graphics and supers
- Quick reaction to breaking news and show news updates
- Provide content for the station’s websites and social media channels.
- Strong command of editorial standards, ethics and legal matters pertaining to broadcast
- Preferred experience and/or understanding of Chicago marketplace
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a major news market.
- Working knowledge of newsroom operation system (iNews, vizRT).
- Must be bilingual with the ability to write fluently in Spanish and English.
- Flexible schedule including weekends and holidays