ILM Sydney is seeking a VFX Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity as we continue to expand our Sydney capability. The VFX Supervisor has overall responsibility for delivering the client’s vision of the project scope through direction of creative and technical approach of the studio team.
Jan 11, 2024
ILM Sydney is seeking a VFX Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity as we continue to expand our Sydney capability.
The VFX Supervisor has overall responsibility for delivering the client’s vision of the project scope through direction of creative and technical approach of the studio team. The VFX Supervisor partners closely with the Producer and client-side stakeholders to deliver the project to the expected standard, on time and on budget.
Reports to: Creative Director - Rob Coleman
What will you be doing?
- Given the complex nature of our work, a proactive approach to seeking creative solutions is highly valued, including but not limited to working collaboratively with the Creative Director and the broader VFX supervision team as necessary.
- Serve as a key creative in Sydney from bidding through Production, determining methodology and approach to executing work and overseeing the work on assigned show, in collaboration with client-facing ILM VFX Supervisor as appropriate
- Serve as client-facing ILM VFX Supervisor on shows that are run out of Sydney
- As needed, may oversee live-action plate photography, even on shows not hubbed in Sydney.
- Develop looks and give direction to artists on shots and assets, including aesthetic and methodological feedback
- Mentor high-potential artists towards higher roles in the Studio
- Facilitate creative discussions between the Global Show Supervisors and artists
- Partner with Director of Studio Operations to evaluate scenarios for different combinations of projects or sections of projects at ILM Sydney and to advise on consequences for utilization, capacity, recruiting, technology, training, facilities, etc. with the goal of delivering shows on time and on budget
- Partner with ILM Sydney Director of Production to allocate and schedule studio resources, and leadership structures on projects and in within disciplines
- Partner with ILM Sydney Director of Production and ILM Global Studios management and producers to shape communication frameworks and procedures between productions in all studios
- Maintain close communication with ILM Global Studios creative and technology leadership to ensure a consistent vision and approach for work and workflow
- Partner with CG Supervisors and Leads to determine technical approach for projects and studio
Training & Human Resources
- Help specific recruiting needs and goals for disciplines and skill levels and collaborates with Recruiting Department on sourcing, interviewing, and vetting candidates
- As needed, represents the creative leadership at ILM Sydneyin media, at conventions and presentations, in meetings with vendors, potential outsourcing partners, etc.
To be a contributing member of this team, you will have a mix of these skills:
- Ideally 8+ years of relevant professional VFX experience and a degree in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least 10 years of relevant professional VFX experience
- At least 10 years’ hands-on digital production experience
- Proven track record of successfully working in a supervisory capacity on several major feature film productions (5+ years minimum)
- A demonstrable blend of technical and artistic skills, preferably with experience as a Technical Director or Digital Artist
- A portfolio demonstrating strong traditional or digital art skills
- A reel demonstrating robust high-end feature film VFX experience
- Experience with commercial VFX software including Nuke, Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, Katana
- Experience with ILM proprietary VFX software including Zeno preferred
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills