WPHL-TV is looking for a Part Time Technical Director! This position is responsible for the technical execution of the live newscast and other live or preproduced studio productions, using our automated production control room.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater Philadelphia Area
Nov 20, 2023
WPHL-TV is looking for a Part Time Technical Director!
Never a dull moment when working in live television, especially news. It’s fun to work in an environment where people truly believe in their product, creativity is valued, and have a sense of accomplishment at the end of a show. This position is responsible for the technical execution of the live newscast and other live or preproduced studio productions, using our automated production control room. In addition to technical directing, you will also ensure the news rundown is properly coded, and support elements are prepared and ready for air. You are ultimately responsible for the look, sound, and feel of the show.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct assigned daily live newscasts.
- Works closely with show producers to conduct pre-production programming of newsroom computer system to create the automated show rundown.
- Make “on the fly” changes or decisions based on changing needs of the newscast.
- Direct other studio productions, special reports, and promotional shoots as assigned.
- Ensure that all equipment and support elements are ready for air.
- Assist with studio setups.
- Perform other operational duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of state-of-the-art broadcast equipment and processes.
- Must be familiar with all aspects of television production.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- OverDrive® APC (Ross) or other control room automation experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of Evertz DreamCatcher™ is a plus.
- ENPS News Production System (Associated Press) or other News Rundown application.
- Strong computer skills.
- Quick-thinking problem-solver.
- Must have the ability to direct fast-pace rapidly changing productions for extended periods.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Film, TV production, Communications, or equivalent experience may substitute.
- 5+ years of recent experience in television directing/production.
- 3+ years of recent experience directing LIVE newscasts.
- 1+ year experience with control room automation preferably Ross OverDrive® APC preferred.
- Constant viewing of multiple video and computer monitors.
- Must be able to work under pressure.
- Early morning work hours required, including holidays.
- Must be able to lift and/or move at least 50 pounds.
- Must join local union after 30 days of employment.