The Technical Director/Director is responsible for directing fast paced live news and other original productions which may include live special events. Responsible for developing and implementing a “vision” for the program, in concert with editorial leadership and the directors working on the program in other cities.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater Atlanta Area
Jan 12, 2024
The Technical Director/Director is responsible for directing fast paced live news and other original productions which may include live special events. Responsible for developing and implementing a “vision” for the program, in concert with editorial leadership and the directors working on the program in other cities. This includes long term show planning as well as determining the format and content for daily programming. As business warrants the Director could be responsible for Directing in non-automated controls as needed.
Your Role Accountabilities…
- Technical Director/Director, live and taped newscasts and/or presentations remote or in studio.
- Operate Grass Valley Kayenne switcher in a control room environment. Controlling video, audio, graphics, robotic cameras, control room routing, effect creation, processing of technical rundowns, circumstances could require audio, graphics, and cameras to be operated manually.
- Show design and format, set design, studio setup, lighting, blocking, graphics, show changes, music, sight survey and set-up.
- Supervise the technical crew assigned to live and taped newscasts and/or presentations.
- Inform and advise the technical and editorial crew of show needs.
- Meet with Editorial staff members prior to the show for prepping show rundown.
- Identify necessary production elements including animations, music, graphics, props and set furnishings.
- Supervise or act as Technical Director/Director for any show preproduction.
- Participate in the annual performance evaluations of technical and editorial staff.
- Follow up and document technical and operational issues related to daily production processes. Assist ops manager to ensure client needs during day-to-day production.
Qualifications & Experience…
- 2-4 years of Industry experience directing in a live news environment.
- An ability to work in a high pressure, 24/7 news environment.
- Operational knowledge of all control room positions.
- Familiar with all aspects of live television and pre / post-production.
- Modern knowledge of control room computer systems.
- Significant industry experience technical directing and directing in a live news environment.
- Experience with computerized automation news systems.
- A desire to learn new technologies, processes and/or procedures as they are implemented and a willingness to work in other areas as assigned.