On the Block is a weekly half-hour television news magazine that tells community stories with visually rich and longer-form news content. This internship is an exciting opportunity to work with in-studio and on-location interviews, taped features and much more.
Greater Chicago Area
Feb 07, 2023
Get exposure and learn about all facets of the production process.
General Job Description:
On the Block Intern will report directly to the Director of News & Local Content and will assist and shadow show producers, segment producers, and on-air contributors in the creation of the weekly show. Interns are treated as professionals and given in-depth learning opportunities for those who want to see what producing compelling television really means.
- This internship will support On The Block program and production staff.
- Must work at least 20 hours per week Monday - Friday, hours are flexible.
- All interns are paid.
- Weigel Broadcasting does not subsidize housing.
- Duties include research, writing, assisting in field shoots, assisting in-studio guests
- Help get the program on the air, which includes performing routine administrative tasks
- Tasks include routine administrative duties and studio maintenance
- Assisting in the creation and posting of social media content
- Exposure to studio & field production
- Other duties, as assigned
- Where permitted by applicable law, must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for job, if not currently employed by Weigel Broadcasting Co.
- Proficiency in broadcast software like iNews is also helpful.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate Journalism program.
- The show starts live at 6 am, early morning hours are required.
- Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and have strong interpersonal skills.
- The ideal candidate should be a self-starter who’s plugged in to pop culture and current events with a fundamental grasp of broadcast news and entertainment shows.
- Creativity is a must.
- Computer skills required include Microsoft Office Applications.
If you have what we are looking for, please apply with your resume and cover letter.
- Within the cover letter please answer the following questions:
- Why do you want an internship at Weigel Broadcasting?
- What are your career aspirations?
- What are your expectations for an internship?
Our Perks & Benefits:
- Compensated internship
- Tax-free Transit
- Discounted Parking Access
- Gym Membership Discount
- Convenient access to highways and public transportation
- One block from the aptly named Restaurant Row