The San Francisco Chronicle has an opening for a beat writer to cover one of the world’s premier sports franchises – the Golden State Warriors, the beat writer will be responsible for reporting developments on the team, covering games and writing features and profiles that transcend day-to-day coverage.
San Francisco Bay Area
Dec 08, 2023
The San Francisco Chronicle has an opening for a beat writer to cover one of the world’s premier sports franchises – the Golden State Warriors, the beat writer will be responsible for reporting developments on the team, covering games and writing features and profiles that transcend day-to-day coverage. Consistent with The Chronicle’s focus on delivering postgame analysis from its game coverage, your focus writing off games will be on important takeaways and evaluating key performances, and not recapping the action.
The reporter will work closely with his or her editor, along with other members of the award-winning San Francisco Chronicle sports department, to plan intelligent and in-depth enterprise and investigative stories for both SFChronicle.com, the print newspaper and other digital news products.
What will you do:
- Develop your command of the Warriors beat to deliver unique, incisive and compelling coverage that stands out in a very competitive beat
- Maintain and grow a digital audience
- Break news and produce world-class journalism by working collaboratively with editors, reporters, website producers, photographers and other journalists
- Conceive ideas and work with editors and data visualization developers to enhance our storytelling.
What will it take to be successful?
- 2-5+ years editing and/or writing experience covering the NBA
- Excellent reporting skills, strong news judgment with experience breaking news;
- Familiarity with or interest in current basketball analytics to evaluate player and team performance
- Ability to work collaboratively with sports editors, other writers, and the design and photography team
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Social media experience.
- This position is full-time.
- It will include some weekend and holiday work.
- The successful candidate must be based in the Bay Area or willing to move to the region.
- The reasonable estimate is between $70,000 and $75,000.