Production Managers “PM’s” work in tandem with a VFX Producer on a project and are the owners of the show schedule.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Jan 04, 2023
The PM functions as the Producer’s “right hand”, stepping up to support Producer duties as required and keeping a direct line of communication with the production team and VFX Producer (and/or Executive in Charge of Production) on all aspects of the show. The PM reports to the VFX Show Producer on a daily basis for show specific tasks and reports to the Senior Talent Manager for larger career development, compensation, etc.
What You’ll Do
- Under direction of VFX Producer, work closely with CG Talent managers on day-to-day crew needs as required
- In collaboration with Producer and Supervisors, create overall show asset and shot schedule across all disciplines and capitalizing on external vendors, using ILM’s best practices for scheduling. Oversee implementation of schedule by guiding and directing coordinators, Supervisors and leads as needed.
- Acts as liaison between client side Production team and ILM Production team
- In conjunction with Producer, manage the production crew on a daily basis including directing Associate Production Managers, Coordinators and Production Assistants to ensure all show needs are met
- Partner with Producer in overseeing roles/responsibilities for APMs, Productions Coordinators and Production Assistants
- With input from Supervisors and VFX Producer, proactively identify and plan for work to be outsourced. Help identify vendors appropriate for body of work. Prepare vendor bidding packages, contribute to vendor cost analysis and weekly cost reporting as needed.
- Proactively problem-solve and raise concerns in all aspects of vendor relations
- Assist as liaison with vendors for technical and creative issues that arise to ensure work stays on schedule and optimal workflow is adhered to
- In partnership with VFX Supervisor and CG Supervisor, facilitate overall setup of Project (“Show”) pipeline and toolsets
- Evaluate and learn artists' strengths; help develop cross utilization of resources to promote an effective workflow
- Manage communication between other ILM global sites
- If no Associate Producer is crewed to the project, act as default leader when the Producer is out of office or otherwise engaged including client contact and running bid meetings
- In partnership with Producer, monitor costs to date and crewing plans against budget
- Supervise, delegate to, and consult on creation of training plan for Production Coordinator(s) and Production Assistant(s)
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Film or related field or equivalent work experience required
- Seven years minimum work experience in VFX production
- Possess strong working knowledge of Visual Effects techniques and terminology
- Proficiency in Macs/PCs including Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge of UNIX required. Familiarity with Google Suite
- This position may require daily overtime and some weekend work
- Ability to work on a computer/keyboard for long periods of time
- Strong scheduling experience required
- Must possess very strong organizational and communication skills and be able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner while meeting deadlines