The CNN Production Assistant is an early careers position that handles a variety of daily production tasks to support CNN Worldwide.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater Atlanta Area
Sep 08, 2023
The CNN Production Assistant is an early careers position that handles a variety of daily production tasks to support CNN Worldwide. This role has three distinct areas where you will perform essential tasks to support daily live News production. They are: 1) Live Programming – supporting anchors with teleprompting 2) Video Production – supporting shows with basic editing and 3) Newsgathering – by watching and logging daily news events. These three areas will allow an early career journalist to participate in and grow their knowledge of editorial news production.
Your Role Accountabilities…
Can include anything from:
- Control Room support – delivering scripts & mic’ing for anchors at CNN-US and CNN-International from Atlanta supporting anchors in a variety of locations. In addition to guest greeting and other production tasks as requested.
- Video Production support - Basic editing of sots, Vos and some light package work to support Newsource and CNN Sport. Basic editing means verifying aspect ratio, audio, and video levels prior to editing and delivering content. As well as properly entering metadata and publishing content for CNN affiliates.
- Newsgathering support – view video and create descriptive narratives of visuals and sound that result in shot sheets for key video assets. Utilize news awareness and collaboration to prioritize work while partnering with correspondents and producers to identify key news nuggets from the video.
- Able to work in a high pressure, fast-paced, newsgathering, and production environment.
- CNN is an organization that is 24/7, candidates should be prepared to work onsite in Atlanta or hybrid on overnights, weekends, and holidays.
Qualifications & Experience…
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, political science or related field of study is preferred; or similar demonstrated on-the-job experience.
- An internship in a news environment or previous newsroom experience is preferred.
- Understanding of current news events is a must, as well as a strong curiosity for current and historic events.
- Understanding of file-based workflows and the basics of video editing.
- Stellar communication skills and a strong curiosity for current events and industry trends is a must.
- Ability to successfully work under deadline pressure and in a team effectively in person or hybrid.
- Be agile, flexible, and able to work with multiple teams.
- Great attention to detail and a creative mindset.
- Strong understanding of the Microsoft Suite, including Outlook.
- Language skills are highly valued.
- Ideal candidates will be looking at careers in journalism such as producing, video editing, writing, reporting, or working on an assignment desk.
Day, Evening, Overnight