CBS News is looking for a collaborative, creative, driven producer to research, develop, and build medical and health content across multiple platforms. The successful candidate will have a track record of urgently identifying and generating breaking and day-of news content, as well as developing longer-term, in-depth enterprise content, while maintaining the highest ethics in news gathering and production.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Feb 12, 2024
CBS News is looking for a collaborative, creative, driven producer to research, develop, and build medical and health content across multiple platforms. The successful candidate will have a track record of urgently identifying and generating breaking and day-of news content, as well as developing longer-term, in-depth enterprise content, while maintaining the highest ethics in news gathering and production. This person will work directly with a senior coordinating producer of the beat unit, and with CBS News and Stations correspondents, producers, photographers, graphic artists, and others to build breakthrough medical/health news content for multiple platforms. Ability to collaborate, flex and multitask a must. The producer will assist with breaking news coverage and supply ideas to help distinguish our reporting.
- Explore and report on new, important, compelling medical & health content with clear value to the audience.
- Facilitate highly effective collaboration and frequent communication inside the beat team, including reporters, producers, photographers, and managers throughout CBS News and Stations.
- Write scripts independently and in partnership with other individuals.
- Help coordinate daily workflow and content execution of reporters and photographers, including assignments, timelines, and resource prioritization.
- Continuously engage in editorial processes, including pitches, story development, script approval, fact checking and legal review. Ensure completeness, balance, and diverse points of view in reporting, in addition to accurate, well-documented, bulletproof content.
- Coordinate production elements, such as graphic design, digital layout, and talent presentation in the field or in studio.
- Assist beat team in engaging with content marketing efforts on all platforms.
- Efficiently apply newsgathering and investigative tactics to acquire information and story elements, such as developing relationships, cultivating sources, strategically landing interviews, navigating open records laws, and using computer-assisted reporting techniques.
- Understand, interpret, and simplify data and other complex information, and then communicate the points and themes to the team in a clear, concise way.
- Urgently develop and implement angles to elevate breaking news and major story coverage.
- May require producing in the field from various locations as needed for the gathering and presentation of content.
- Must be willing to work an unpredictable schedule as assigned.
- At least 10 years of continuous producing experience.
- Knowledge: Deep understanding of reporting on medical & health. Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Collaboration: Proven ability to champion collaboration across multiple news groups. Strong interpersonal and communication skills to cultivate and maintain valuable relationships.
- Video shooting and editing skills preferred.
- Travel: Willingness to travel at times to various markets.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in broadcast journalism, communications, environmental studies, or a related field.
Hiring Salary Range: $110,000.00 - 118,000.00.