The Manager, Design and Delivery will be located on the owned Bristol, CT campus, home to ESPN. The Manager’s primary responsibility is to plan, manage and deliver a program of recurring capital projects on the Bristol campus along with managing potential tenant improvement (TI) projects at the campus or other locations within the Corporate Real Estate portfolio.
The Manager, Design and Delivery will be located on the owned Bristol, CT campus, home to ESPN.
The Walt Disney Company owns the 123-acre campus that serves as ESPN headquarters comprised of approximately 20 buildings totaling more than 1.2M SF of office, production, and technical space.
The Manager’s primary responsibility is to plan, manage and deliver a program of recurring capital projects on the Bristol campus along with managing potential tenant improvement (TI) projects at the campus or other locations within the Corporate Real Estate portfolio.
Responsibilities include client interface, programming, planning, design development, construction document development, construction management, cost control, and financial reporting.
The Manager will lead one (1) internal team member as part of this program with the potential of additional team members in the future including developing the overall strategy, providing guidance, training, and managing the workload.
- Establish realistic long term and annual operating and capital expenditure plans.
- Coordinate with internal Disney stakeholders to develop, implement, track and report on the planned capital projects for the Bristol campus including providing baseline estimates for cost and schedule as basis for approvals.
- Conduct due diligence to create a delivery strategy for each project and the overall program of projects.
- Draft project funding documentation in collaboration with other internal Disney stakeholders for review and approval by senior management.
- Lead turn-key project management through all phases of development, from initial analysis through closeout.
- Manage multiple projects, deliverables, milestones, schedules, and budgets simultaneously.
- Team with internal and external partners to see all projects through successful timely completion.
- Develop scopes of work and coordinate with Sourcing & Procurement for management of bid process for architects, engineers, general contractors, and other request for proposals.
- Aggressively and consistently manage projects to a budget and deliver projects on- or under-budget. Utilize value engineering skills to maintain the budget throughout the duration of a project.
- Develop baseline project schedule and update as required to support the initiative. Aggressively manage all project vendors on each project for on-time project delivery, including procurement timelines.
- Lead project meetings, including project kick-off, weekly status meetings, coordination meetings, and management update meetings.
- Coordinate project vendors and internal Disney stakeholders for proper integration of their work.
- Manage approval process for required applications and permits (permits, reimbursement/refund requests, etc.). Meet with relevant agencies to facilitate approvals, as needed.
- Actively manage costs on projects, include forecasting of potential costs. Collaborate with project controls to ensure timely and accurate cost reporting. Review and update cost reports, cash flows, and any other needed reporting.
- Utilize creative problem-solving techniques to resolve project issues. Research and facilitate resolution of project issues as they arise.
- Manage change order process, including issuance of directives to vendors, tracking of potential change orders, negotiating change order claims with vendors, and compiling change order requests for processing by Sourcing and Procurement.
- Monitor jobsite safety, ensure adherence to applicable regulations and Disney policies, and ensure proper enrollment in Owner Controlled Insurance Program and Builder’s Risk insurance.
- Final review and approval of payment applications for general contractor, architect, consultant, and vendor accounts monthly.
- Pro-actively communicate project status and actively manage expectations. Develop and implement communication plan to business unit and/or larger Disney community as necessary.
- Manage punch list and close-out process. Ensure timely submittal of close-out documentation to allow Facilities Services & Support to operate building upon move-in. Manage close-out process for timely completion.
- Ensure adequate detail in project documentation (drawings, bids, invoices, etc.) for final capitalization of project. Provide additional cost and/or quantity information as necessary.
- Manage and track warranty periods. Coordinate repairs with general contractors prior to warranty expiration. Conduct end of warranty period turnover meeting with facilities.
Managerial Responsibilities (direct reports):
- Lead internal team and external resources on approved projects including defining roles and responsibilities and managing workload.
- Manage professional employee(s) by providing guidance, assigning work initiatives and continuously developing and accessing talent through annual objectives, performance reviews and training.
- Develop Department programs and procedures to maximize program and project-level efficiencies.
Managing External Resources:
- Architects, designers, and engineers
- General Contractors and Disney direct-hired vendors (Security, IT, Furniture, etc.)
- City Building & Safety Staff
- Permit Expeditors
Collaborate with Internal Resources:
- Project Controls
- Corporate Real Estate Accounts Management
- Facilities & Operations
- Corporate Finance
- Enterprise Technology
- Business Units
- Vendor Management
- Proven success interacting with vendors, including architects, contractors, and FF&E manufacturers.
- Internal Team Development
- Ability to support common goals and embrace team achievement over individual needs.
- Proven experience in developing internal partnerships.
- Updates project reporting tools to enhance cost tracking.
- Developing a project approach and setting up the team for success.
- Client Relationship Development
- Demonstrated client service orientation.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with client business units.
- Organization & Communication
- Strong time management and organization skills. Possess the ability to multitask and prioritize workload on a daily basis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Real Estate, Design, and Construction
- Proficient at reading and interpreting construction documents and specifications, leases, and contracts.
- Understanding of the local or regional codes and ordinances that inform a building design.
- Understanding of the entitlements, financial and public relations implications of a proposed physical plan
- Understanding of workplace trends that would impact space planning and interior designs.
- Ability to master technical issues.
- Ability to problem solve and lead the team to a collaborative solution.
- Ability to handle detail and complexity.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to resolve conflict.
- Ability to successfully partner with colleagues.
- Ability form partnerships with client representatives to develop win/win solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a development core discipline such as Construction Management, Engineering, or related profession.
- Minimum of 7 years project management experience or 5 years Disney project management experience required.
- Proven leadership experience required.
- Master’s preferred in Construction Management or Masters in Business Administration.
- Documented experience managing a capital program.
- PMP Certification
The hiring range for this position is $123,000.00 - $165,000.00 per year.