WTKR/WGNT, the Scripps owned CBS/CW affiliate in Norfolk, VA has an unique opportunity for recent and upcoming college graduates. This position is finite in nature, usually 6-8 months long. JCP Participants will learn to oversee and edit content for multiple platforms.
Norfolk, Virginia Area
May 16, 2023
WTKR/WGNT, the Scripps owned CBS/CW affiliate in Norfolk, VA has an unique opportunity for recent and upcoming college graduates.
As a participant in the Scripps Journalism Career Program (JCP) this position reports to a News Manager and works with the News Manager, Executive Producer and/or Producers to become capable in performing the duties of the assigned position. This position is finite in nature, usually 6-8 months long. JCP Participants will learn to oversee and edit content for multiple platforms.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Steadily increasing complexity of task and relationship can be expected in all of the below listed areas:
- Report, write, and capture visual content. Edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline.
- Assist in coverage of major news events, breaking news and severe weather to insure high quality consistent community coverage on multiple platforms.
- Work with news staff to plan, structure, write and report news and information content for various media platforms.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Web Content Producer
- Produce site content to optimize the user experience by being attentive to live web metrics and UE best practice
- Apply SEO best practices to every piece of content
- Enhance the news content with links, maps, and slideshows.
- Coordinate news editorial and technical staff to facilitate the migration of multimedia content to new media platforms, including video, audio, still photos and graphics.
- Build out special sections and site features to enhance coverage and increase user engagement.
- Assist in the management of user-generated content on the sites.
- Responsible for content generation for niche sites as directed by the director of new media.
- Work with other departments, including sales and marketing, as needed on site and station initiatives that require content integration.
- Update and interact with fans/followers on social media.
- Evaluate news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Shoot video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edit videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appear on television program when conducting taped interview or narration.
- Give live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Assist the digital staff in preparing for multi-media stories.
- Work closely with news managers and assignment editors to determine content needs.
- Enhance content of the rundown with graphics, video, research and station branding
- Execute time sensitive decisions regarding the newscast
- Working knowledge of journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Responsible for oversight of live broadcast and up to the minute editorial decisions
- Perform desktop editing
- Develop and post content to stations Web sites
- Utilize web analytics
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Recent or imminent undergraduate with BS/BA in related discipline
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Should possess some or all of the following:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy including newsroom computer systems
- Familiar with editing and editing systems
- Familiar with journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Experience posting content to websites
- Knowledge of Content Management systems, HTML, Audio Editing, Image Editing, Social Networking
- Experience with digital video editing
- Knowledge of Associated Press style