FOX Sports is seeking Ticker Copy Editors on a freelance basis who will be responsible for writing and editing headlines as well as updating content for FS1, FS2 and FOX Broadcasting Company (FBC).
FOX Sports is seeking Ticker Copy Editors on a freelance basis who will be responsible for writing and editing headlines as well as updating content for FS1, FS2 and FOX Broadcasting Company (FBC). While working on the network’s various Tickers, the employee will be responsible for monitoring daily scores and news across the entire sports landscape in order to produce alerts, results and other game-related information that will appear on FS1, FS2 and FBC. Candidates should not only have a deep interest in all sports and a wide breadth of knowledge to inform their news judgment, but they also should know how to prioritize deadlines amid a number of day-to-day tasks. The successful candidate will be able to make good decisions quickly while proving that they’re meticulous copy editors and fact checkers.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Newsgathering, fact-checking, headline writing and copy editing under intense minute-by-minute deadline conditions
- Monitoring the sports calendar and live events so that the Ticker always presents timely news, scores and relevant information to viewers
- Ensuring all content in the Ticker is well-researched, logically structured, grammatically correct and follows the department’s editorial style
- Checking headlines and text before publishing for any potential legal issues, such as libelous statements or breach of copyright
- Writing and enabling alerts for breaking news, network programming changes and other significant sports updates
- Manage and schedule promotional graphics to appear in the Ticker at designated times throughout the day and week
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2-4 years of editorial experience required, preferably in the online or TV medium
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
- Familiar working with Content Management Systems (CMS) and online publishing tools
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Must be well-versed using social media, internet and other internal sources (i.e. AP sports wire) for newsgathering and research purposes
- Strong critical thinking, news judgment, decision-making, planning, detail orientation and a sense of urgency are essential
- Proven sports knowledge
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed
NICE TO HAVE, BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
- BS/BA in Journalism, Communications, English or other related degree strongly preferred
Candidates living in the greater Los Angeles area are preferred, but remote candidates will be considered
Pursuant to state and local pay disclosure requirements, the pay range for this role, with final offer amount dependent on education, skills, experience, and location is: $25.00-30.00 per hour.