As a Director of Social Media, Daily Coverage at ESPN you will lead strategic initiatives for pro football, MLB, NBA and the NHL. You will be responsible for planning and executing dynamic social media campaigns, developing both short-term and long-term strategy for the team, working directly with ESPN PR as it relates to social media matters, fostering audience engagement, and optimizing content to elevate ESPN's digital presence.
Connecticut, Greater New York City Area, Greater Los Angeles Area
Jan 23, 2024
As a Director of Social Media, Daily Coverage at ESPN you will lead strategic initiatives for pro football, MLB, NBA and the NHL. You will be responsible for planning and executing dynamic social media campaigns, developing both short-term and long-term strategy for the team, working directly with ESPN PR as it relates to social media matters, fostering audience engagement, and optimizing content to elevate ESPN's digital presence. To do this, you will utilize analytics, stay informed on industry trends, and collaborate cross-functionally to ensure a cohesive brand message across platforms. This position will report into the Senior Director, Social Media.
This position is preferred to be based in CT, however may be based in CA or NY.
- Leads ESPN’s social media strategy for a range of professional sports, including (but not necessarily limited to) the NFL, the UFL, the National Hockey League, and Major League Baseball.
- Heads a task force aimed at tackling long-term strategy, scrutinizing current strategy, finding ways we can improve, and staying on top of trends to keep our group evolving and ensure that we remain the No. 1 brand in sports social media.
- Serves as the liaison to ESPN PR and needs to be comfortable dealing with controversial matters that sometime involve tough conversations with people both external and internal.
- Develops and implements innovative and engaging social media campaigns to enhance audience interaction and grow account following.
- Leads collaboration with content creators, analysts, and production teams to ensure cohesive and timely social media coverage of live events, highlights, and breaking news.
- Analyzes social media metrics and trends to optimize content performance and make recommendations for future strategies.
- Works with the Sr Director to cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, both internally and externally, to enhance ESPN's social media presence and access to exclusive content. This includes our relationships with various execs and social counterparts at the league we cover.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and emerging platforms to recommend and integrate new features and technologies into ESPN's social media approach.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams, including marketing, communications, and digital content, to align social media initiatives with overall brand objectives.
- Manages a team of social media managers and specialists, providing guidance, feedback, and fostering a creative and collaborative work environment.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in Social Media or a related industry
- Minimum of 4 years of experience managing teams of people.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience using video editing software (e.g. Final Cut, Premiere)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience using photo editing software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign)
- Proven experience in social media management, with a focus on sports content
- Demonstrated success in driving audience growth and engagement through strategic social media initiatives.
- In-depth knowledge of various social media platforms, analytics tools, and emerging trends in digital media.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with internal teams and external partners.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and mentor a team.
- A passion for promoting diversity and inclusion in sports and in the workplace.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing large-scale social media accounts
- Minimum of 5 years of experience articulating social strategy in large meeting settings
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Journalism, Communications, Online/Multimedia or related field
The hiring range for this position in California is $123,000.00 - $165,000.00 per year and in New York is $128,904.00 - $172,920.00 per year.