The Deputy Editor is a managerial job overseeing the editorial operations for ESPN Digital Media’s sports betting coverage, which includes setting the editorial strategy and coordinating coverage across sports and platforms.
The Deputy Editor is a managerial job overseeing the editorial operations for ESPN Digital Media’s sports betting coverage, which includes setting the editorial strategy and coordinating coverage across sports and platforms. The position manages both people and process, and requires an understanding of a 24/7 news environment that includes desktop, mobile, social and personalized platforms. This role is responsible for tactical planning, providing vision and direction for sports betting digital coverage, and integrating with cross-platform entities including television, audio, production, etc. This job is based in Bristol, CT.
- Direct a staff of managers, editors and reporters in a highly competitive, rapidly changing environment.
- Work to bring a distinctive, compelling and authentic voice to all Digital Media products.
- Develop comprehensive multimedia coverage that includes video, audio, text and interactivity, and partnership with all appropriate ESPN properties.
- Recruit, hire and develop talented employees who are innovative storytellers that contribute to all of ESPN’s platforms.
- Coordinate staffing assignments, editorial resources and process.
- Collaborate with design, product and technology managers on presentation and site enhancements.
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends, technology and best practices for news and storytelling.
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge for SEO.
- Ensure all content meets established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements.
- Work with Sales to develop content with sponsorship potential.
- Identify opportunities for audience expansion and revenue growth.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in editorial and content creation, including at least two years in people management.
- Understanding and appreciation of news, story play and trending topics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and news judgment.
- Basic knowledge of all major sports.
- Appreciation of popular culture and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of ESPN’s audiences.
- Knowledge of HTML and related web authoring tools and software, search engines and audience acquisition.
- Exposure to technical and product teams in a digital media organization.
- In-depth knowledge of the sports betting space, including major storylines and key contacts.
- Familiarity with tools that measure online traffic, consumer habits and usage patterns.
High School Degree
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field.