Chicago Shakespeare Theater: The Costume Crafts Artisan is a member of the CST Costume Shop and is responsible for all Costume Crafts elements for CST’s upcoming productions of Richard III and Romeo and Juliet this winter. Dates of employment range from mid-December, 2023 to March 1, 2024.
Live Event / On Location Services
Wardrober / Stylist
Greater Chicago Area
Dec 04, 2023
Dec 18, 2023
Mar 01, 2024
The Costume Crafts Artisan is a member of the CST Costume Shop and is responsible for all Costume Crafts elements for CST’s upcoming productions of Richard III and Romeo and Juliet this winter. Dates of employment range from mid-December, 2023 to March 1, 2024. This position will have the opportunity to work in a shop alongside the other members of the Costume department to interpret and implement costume crafts projects from a two dimensional drawing into a three dimensional wearable product.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Drives IDEA to Action platform by engaging in committees, events, training and other initiatives as needed.
- Models CST’s core values of service, ingenuity, and collaboration as well as its customer service ethos.
- Champions the organization’s commitment to a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Collaborate with the designer to physically realize the required costume crafts elements accurately as conceived by designer.
- Pulling and sourcing of ready made costume crafts elements and supplies.
- Attend fittings as needed.
- Collaborate with performers to ensure all elements are comfortable and functional.
- Collaborate with Costume manager to ensure all elements are within scope of time and budget.
- Costume Crafts projects can include, but are not limited to:
- Dyeing, Painting, Distressing
- Weapons Rigging
- Footwear (gaitors, spats, puttees, shoe décor, etc.)
- Foam Structures
- Fantasy elements
- Purses and Handbags
- Mechanical or light up costume elements
- Maintain a clean work space
- Ensure all costume crafts elements will also work for understudies or duplicate when necessary.
- Service, ingenuity, and collaboration
- Emotional intelligence
- Strong time management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Patterning (hats, spats, gaitors, gloves, etc)
- Hand and machine sewing skills
- Knowledge of fabric dyeing and painting
- Professional experience with actors and fittings
- Creative problem solving
- Collaborative spirit
- Knowledge of the various products used for this work and the safety protocols around them.
- Work hours are generally 9:00 am-6:00 pm, Monday through Friday
- Evening and weekend hours may occasionally be necessary.
- Worksite is primarily at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL but will at times work in other locations such as the CST Warehouse.
- Will regularly be required to wear PPE during work activities.
- At times this job may require the use of products that require the use of an overhead hood or respirator for safety precautions.
- Lifting boxes up to 15lbs
- Occasional climbing of ladders or stairs
- Repetitive actions for painting, distressing, sewing, cutting etc.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- One year of Professional Costume Crafts experience