CNN Digital’s data and graphics team is growing and we’re looking for a Data & Graphics Editor who will help us do essential, creative, and groundbreaking journalism.
London, United Kingdom
Jan 10, 2023
The Data & Graphics Editor will be part of the global data and graphics team and partner closely with their teammates and our other news desks to contextualize the news and cover stories about the most important issues of our time. They will help us find, report on, analyse and visualise data across beats, including breaking news and the intersections of policy, business, climate, health, inequity and more.
You should have experience reporting, working with data visualisation and telling stories creatively, whether that’s through dataviz, interactive features, webGL, or something else entirely. This is a position where you can pitch and develop your own stories as well as collaborate with others to create high impact visual and data-driven journalism.
This is initially a fixed term position for a period of 12 months.
- Pitch, report and edit visual and data-driven stories
- Create graphics and visuals, including maps, charts, interactives or other visual storytelling formats for breaking news stories and medium to long-term features
- Plan proactively and identify strong data and graphics opportunities for the data and graphics stories and stories across other desks
- Review data, analyses, stories, visualisations and graphics to ensure they uphold rigorous standards
- Collaborate closely with data and graphics teammates to document your work, open source data when relevant, and participate in skill sharing
- A desire to push storytelling forward and the ability to think creatively about how we use graphics and data in the service of journalism. You put the journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking “what’s the best way to tell this story?”
- Excellent communication skills, as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you are working closely with colleagues to create and shape a graphics project
- A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
- Familiarity with the command line and Git
- Some familiarity with modern mapping tools (Arc, QGIS, MapBox, Maps4News, etc.)
- Proven newsroom experience or data/visualisation experience
- Experience with Python, SQL, Excel, etc.