Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to lead its Atlanta city site, one of its marquee publications. The Eater Atlanta editor guides day-to-day coverage of the site and its overall sensibility, including its mix of news stories, service-focused maps and guides, and features. This job is remote.
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to lead its Atlanta city site, one of its marquee publications.
The Eater Atlanta editor guides day-to-day coverage of the site and its overall sensibility, including its mix of news stories, service-focused maps and guides, and features. The role is responsible for audience growth and engagement as well as impact and relevance in the community. The editor will have the drive to continue Eater’s reputation for furthering conversations about the restaurant industry and dining culture in Atlanta; reports and features should proactively examine narratives that are unexpected and important to Atlanta’s food scene and the people within it. Stories should not all focus on one area or subject: the editor should have the range to cover the bar and hospitality industries, real estate news, voice-y blogs, and economic impact and labor stories. The role also has a strong taste-making component given the editor oversees Eater Atlanta’s extensive roster of maps and guides pointing to the best of the city’s restaurant scene. The role also includes assigning, editing, and packaging freelance pieces; taking ownership of high-touch service maps like the Eater 38; and scheduling/strategizing for social media and the Eater Atlanta newsletter.
This is a full-time, union position with benefits.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Have a vision of the food and restaurant culture in Atlanta and Eater’s place in it
- Edit and manage a small group of freelancers, and periodically recruit and develop new writers and contributors to ensure a diverse mix of voices reflecting the demographics of your city
- Oversee all of the site’s content, including daily news, maps and service content, features, and other reporting, producing multiple stories per day
- Create and assign an editorial calendar incorporating news stories, service content, and reviews, including planning longer lead features, trend stories, and packages
- Oversee production and strategy for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater Atlanta, keeping in line with Eater's standards
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy-edited and meets our style guide and editorial standards
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized and that headlines meet our standards
- Track openings and develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers when needed
- Occasionally appear on panels, radio, and other public appearances as appropriate for the brand
WHO YOU ARE
- Extensive experience in journalism, particularly in breaking daily news, developing sources, covering a beat, and editing other writers
- A vision for ambitious storytelling
- Comfort with cold calling and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city.
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Attention to detail, news judgment, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, the restaurant industry, or legal matters
- Experience with photography and article layout
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote.
Pay Range: $70,000—$75,000 USD