WFMY News 2, TEGNA's CBS affiliate in Greensboro, NC is recruiting an Assignment Desk Editor. The ideal candidate will have an "audience first" approach to producing and distributing quality stories. This person must have solid news judgement and must be able to manage multiple stories at one time.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina Area
Aug 11, 2023
WFMY News 2, TEGNA's CBS affiliate in Greensboro, NC is recruiting an Assignment Desk Editor. This person is curious about the world and has a vision for what local news can and should be on all platforms. The ideal candidate will have an "audience first" approach to producing and distributing quality stories. This person must have solid news judgement and must be able to manage multiple stories at one time. Assignment Editors are leaders in the newsroom who urgently and aggressively cover breaking stories. This position is for a person who is passionate about local news and connecting people. This person has a track record of presenting hard news with the balance of many voices and perspectives. This person is a team player, understands a culture of feedback and wants to excel together. The WFMY newsroom is proudly “one content team” with broadcast and digital sharing an equal stage.
- Urgently and aggressively report news as it happens
- Focus on accuracy and balance news gathering and reporting
- Understands the importance of building contacts
- Following news reporting best practices and ethical standards such as make calls, get pictures or video to support a story, research and confirm information with multiple sources
- Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
- Pitch stories in editorial meetings
- Monitor social media for local breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
- Be organized and engaged
- Work with newsroom team to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
- 1-3 years of experience as an assignment editor or digital producer preferred
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, nights and holiday shifts.
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Instagram and Facebook
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.