The Writer is responsible for preparing, writing and copy edits assigned stories into scripts in Spanish.
Also edits audio and video to be presented on the air. Updates copy and audio/video as story changes. Works with reporters, producers, and assignment desk to produce factual, clear, interesting news stories that the viewing public can understand. Writes scripts and edits audio/video in a timely fashion. Must be bilingual (Spanish/English).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reads local newspapers and watches other local TV stations to keep in touch with NY news.
- Prepares news stories based on information provided by the assignment desk, wire service, newspapers, press releases, NY1 Archives and video tape shot in the field.
- Adds video, sound and graphics.
- Writes clear, simple scripts in Spanish for anchors to read.
- Copy edits scripts correcting for accuracy, factual content, pronunciation, grammar and spelling.
- Updates scripts as news changes.
- Provides scripts in a timely fashion.
- Suggests ways to improve the process.
- Logs incoming video and audio for use in news wheel.
- Edits video for anchor voice-overs and sound on tapes using current and future technology.
- Works with reporters to prepare voice over material and sound for their live field reports.
- Checks all equipment.
- Reads scopes and audio levels.
- Sets machines to required levels.
- Makes certain all video and sound meet quality standards.
- Must be available to work all shifts including early morning, late evening, weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- College degree
- Degree in Journalism, Communication or English preferred
- Must be bilingual (Spanish/ English)
- 1-2 years newsroom experience: internship, field work, or freelance.
- Video Production experience.
- Experience writing copy, editing, shooting, collecting elements and putting packages together.
- Experience researching, creating news stories and making basic editorial decisions on what is a newsworthy story
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts