The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a SEGMENT PRODUCER to work in its New York City Broadcast Center.
All applicants will be reviewed and considered for a current or near-future opening.
- Researches and produces compelling segments that include quality sound, eye-catching graphics, effective use of maps and headline-grabbing banners
- Receives assignments and guidance from Executive Producers and Line Producers to research and write questions for anchors for guest segments and exercises editorial judgment in selection of visual elements for segments
- Coordinates with anchors and correspondents to inform them on subject matter and brief them on segment
- Works closely with senior staff in control room with the ability to add to the editorial process in a breaking and live news environment
- Exercises exceptional editorial skills: Ability to recognize stories with high potential for compelling and comprehensive storytelling
- Works closely with senior staff on editorial content of show
- Pitches and shapes clear and specific segment ideas with speed and accuracy in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Serves as an editorial contributor in the control room during assigned segments to ensure smooth on-air production
- Has thorough knowledge of control room and exercises appropriate etiquette
- Exhibits calm demeanor in high pressure situations, including control room
- Participates in daily staff editorial and production meetings
- Works with Executive Producers, Line Producers and Producers on standards, rights and clearances and the editorial direction and language for the Anchors, Correspondents and on screen graphics
What you bring to the team:
- At least five years of experience working in a newsroom, preferably with experience writing copy at a national broadcast, streaming or cable news organization
- Background in journalism and TV, including strong news judgment & critical thinking skills
- Sophisticated knowledge of current events, politics and pop culture
- Up to date on periodicals, including Op-Eds
- Own and master the day’s international, national and political news
- Impeccable grammar and spelling, experience in news writing and ability to pass comprehensive CBS News Digital writing test
- Command of AP style and broadcast writing
- Detail-oriented with ability to work and write calmly and efficiently in a deadline driven, live TV environment.
- Be able to handle multiple assignments for regular programming as well as rolling breaking news coverage
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Available to work all shifts including early morning, nights, weekends and holidays as part of a regular rotation and as coverage needs require, as this is a 24-hour news network.
You Might Also Have:
- Knowledge of ENPS
- Line producing experience
- A deep understanding of political news
- Strong understanding of digital and social media
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for the future of digital media
This position covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the WGA-E.
Hiring Salary Range: $75,000.00 - 80,000.00.