The Weather Producer has editorial and meteorological responsibility and accountability for all weather content included in one of TWC en Espanol’s programs or day-parts.
They will ensure that each show covers relevant weather events through compelling stories and that those stories are told in the proper order with visual components that are both accurate and meet (or exceed) internal standards and style. The weather producer will work closely with on-camera meteorologists to ensure that their weather storytelling is well-organized, well-prepared, and includes language that connects most effectively with our target television audience(s).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and produce the necessary weather graphics utilizing internal weather graphics system.
- Produce weather segments utilizing an interactive production system. Segments should be well organized and easy to follow and shall incorporate both graphical and video assets.
- Create & maintain graphical templates that meet editorial weather story telling goals.
- Conceive of and create new weather and science-based stories for the assigned program or day-part.
- Stay aware of current meteorological pattern and contribute stories to the weather-content editorial process.
- Coordinate with editorial lead and fellow weather producers to assure continuity in weather storytelling.
- Prepare content using multiple graphic platforms including TruVu Max, Google Earth, and Gibson Ridge.
- Maintain proficiency with software changes to TruVu Max and other graphics systems.
- Support coverage of significant weather events, including working extra hours and days outside of normally scheduled shifts.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in meteorology, atmospheric science, design, or a related field.
- 1 year of meteorological experience.
- 1 year experience in a live television production environment.
- Fluent in speaking and writing both Spanish and English language.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of TruVu Max weather systems.
- Thorough comprehension of numerical models.
- Strong ability to communicate orally and verbally. Ability to disseminate complex meteorological information in a usable and understandable manner in both Spanish and English.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Knowledge of social media and its role in the information and content gathering process.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, involving cross-functional teams, in an efficient manner.
- Exhibits creative problem solving skills and unique resourcefulness in order to complete tasks.
- Quickly learns and applies new technologies.
- Customer focused, innovative, and self-motivated.
- Receives feedback constructively and incorporates that feedback into work products and performance.
- Good multi-tasking and trouble-shooting skills.
- Displays strong collaborative skills and works effectively through conflict.
- Maintains high standards for product, performance, and ethics.
- Effectively contributes to team goals within a highly interactive, and at times, stressful environment.
- Dependable and flexible in a 24x7 operational environment.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.