Chicago, IL • Temporarily remote The Vocalo Host/Producer is responsible for creating a community presence for Vocalo to grow our audience and distribute compelling, original content to help us translate these experiences in real life.
Location Not Provided
The Host/Producer will work closely with a small team of hosts, producers, and freelance contributors to expand and deepen our engagement with diverse audiences and to help position Vocalo Radio as Chicago’s premiere destination for music and culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall production of assigned shows, programs or podcasts.
- Collaborates with content director, Vocalo, to conceptualized editorial coverage.
- Works with an additional level of independence and creative judgement preparing shows, segments, and live on-air interviews and episodes.
- Create and produce original music, arts and culture content for Vocalo’s platforms, including audio, web and social media.
- Help steward key community partnerships through content creation that deepens Vocalo’s reach and impact.
- Participate in cross-departmental product development work groups and content brainstorming sessions.
- Project manage occasional projects and editorial collaborations.
- Work occasional weekends and holidays.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, humanities, or a related field.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience in Host/Producer 1 role and/or a minimum of 5-7 years of professional audio editing experience.
- Demonstrates expertise in the duties of Vocalo Host/Producer 1:
- Hosts and/or produces regularly scheduled music and/or talk program in a creative and engaging manner.
- Voices stories, music shifts, podcast or program elements.
- Engages directly with listeners through social media platforms.
- Books guests for regular segments and produces approved segments across Chicago Public Media platforms.
- Gathers, edits, and mixes audio or multimedia elements.
- May manage board operations or fills in when needed.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with strong news judgement.
- Ability (Demonstrated) to produce high quality work in a collaborative environment, working effectively with creative, marketing, and product development teams in a journalistic environment.
Public media or non-profit experience.