WHIO-TV Cox Media Group is looking for a visual storyteller who can go off the shoulder as well as the sticks, a creative go-getter, with a eye for composition and an ear for sound.
Dayton, Ohio Area
Aug 08, 2022
You will cover day-to-day general and spot news assignments. The successful candidate must be organized, self-motivated, possess excellent people skills, deadline oriented, have a strong work ethic, and a positive attitude, you must also be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Responsible for operating various news gathering equipment, including but not limited to live equipment (microwave/satellite trucks and LiveU backpacks) and professional news video cameras
- Responsible for editing stories daily under tight deadlines
- Works tandem with reporters in the field to turn visually creative, memorable stories as well as interesting, active live shots and may also conduct interviews solo for broadcast
- Listens to scanners, calls in spot news and responds to spot news when asked
- Responds and works well in a crisis and during breaking news and handles last minute and unexpected changes professionally
- Create digital content, edit social videos and post to social media
- Comes prepared for editorial and other meetings and contributes story ideas daily bringing creative energy to the table
- Travels regularly often locally however, may travel nationally.
- Works assigned shifts and fills in for absent co-workers if needed on all shifts. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules including when called to cover breaking news
- Acts in a professional, courteous manner when representing the station and the news department. Looks presentable and neat on the job.
- Perform news operations duties as needed
What We Look For
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Minimum 1 year TV news photography and editing experience required, NPPA style experience a plus.
- Must be proficient with current broadcast cameras, non-linear editing, and LIVE equipment including live trucks and live backpacks.
- Ability to work alone and with a reporter.
- Must be reliable and able to work additional hours if needed as well as travel as required.
- Must possess valid driver's license and clean driving record as determined by WHIO-TV
- Good news judgment and thorough understanding of daily news content required as well as thorough understanding of journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 to 50 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
- sUAS Drone Pilot certified
- Avid/Adobe After Effects Knowledge
- College Degree in Communication or Journalism