We are seeking a Writing Apprentice to join an adult animated transcontinental action/adventure comedy series.
The Writing Apprentice position is a full-time paid opportunity for new-to-market writers to join Netflix Animation Studios as part of the Netflix Animation Writing Program. While in the Program, the apprentice is embedded in production from day one, receiving invaluable hands-on experience developing and pitching ideas, writing scripts, and taking masterclasses on the craft--all while building relationships that are then strengthened in the writers room.
Writers with a passion for narrative storytelling who strive for creative excellence and are ready to take the next step in their writing journey are encouraged to apply.
What You’ll Do:
- Immerse yourself in the world of the show to confidently generate and pitch ideas alongside writers.
- Offer a clear point of view and passion for the project.
- Engage in customized skill development activities and valuable learning opportunities to strengthen and refine your writing process.
- Meet regularly with Program leaders to craft quantifiable, attainable goals and assess progress.
- Learn through observation and connection with creative mentors and various network and production leadership.
- Communicate effectively with team members and evaluate feedback openly.
- Collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion, and open-mindedness.
- Troubleshoot and proactively address notes.
- Meet deadlines from concept to final deliverables.
Do You Have What It Takes?
- Samples that demonstrate a strong understanding of the craft of screenwriting, including script format, story structure, unique character voice, dialogue, and humor.
- Outstanding collaborative skills: ability to be personable and synergetic with a unique group of creative staff
- Excellent verbal, written, and online communication skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for telling animated stories.
- Commitment to keeping inclusion and diversity top of mind.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to apply.
- Must be available to work full-time during the Program period (est. 4 months).
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without visa sponsorship (during and upon completion of the program).
- Must not have been previously hired as a staff writer.
- Must not have been previously hired as a freelance writer on three or more productions.
- Writing teams will not be considered at this time.
- Must submit two original half-hour pilot samples for adult audiences (live-action or animation) that cover action/adventure and comedy genres. Samples will be requested at a later date.
- Familiarity with world history and cultures is a plus.
A college degree or advanced education is not required. This opportunity is US-based.