Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way. Because we know it can be challenging to balance coursework and internship commitments, we offer interns paid time off for mental health, school exams, and personal holidays.
To meet students where they are, we will host internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs. Some of our internship opportunities that begin in September will continue through the Academic Year and end in April. Please be sure to read this job description carefully and note the internship dates, locations, and departments before applying.
Academic Year Internship Program:
- Applications Close: June 9, 2023 at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: September 18, 2023 – April 19, 2024
- Time Commitment: 16-24 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need. We will do our best to accommodate course schedules.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
NBCUniversal Local is NBCUniversal’s local media division that delivers English and Spanish-speakers and bilingual audiences in 31 U.S. markets and Puerto Rico, the very best in local sports, news, weather, consumer and investigative reporting, and lifestyle entertainment across any platform and screen. NBCUniversal Local is comprised of three individual media groups including the NBC Owned Television Stations, the NBC Sports Regional Networks and the Telemundo Station Group. NBCUniversal Local’s stations and networks serve diverse audiences and communities across linear, streaming, OTT, digital web, mobile and audio, and cable platforms and work together to keep local audiences informed anytime and anywhere.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
Telemundo 52 News
Interns will work side by side with show producers and story producers working under deadline to produce accurate and compelling stories. Interns assist with a variety of News Gathering responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Research information, assist with investigations and source subjects for possible interviews and story development
- Work closely with our consumer unit, making phone calls, interviewing viewers, alleged scammers, and government agencies
- Story development, fact checking, logging, following up on story leads, obtaining clearances, writing.
- Produce breaking news under deadline and pitch original enterprise stories
- Placements may include: News, Sports, Responde
The selected intern must be highly fluent in English and Spanish. We are a Spanish-language news outlet, so knowledge of the language is of the utmost importance.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the entire duration of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- A background in any of the following areas: Journalism, Production, Communications, English, Digital Media, Research, Sales, Finance, Advertising, Marketing
- Strong interest in the media industry
- Commitment to building an inclusive work environment
- Ability to multitask and highly organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Previous internship experience within a corporate setting
- Experience on a school newspaper or campus news station is a plus.
- AP Style writing
The hourly rate for student interns is $17.00.