As a Technical Animator, you will be supporting while innovating animation systems and activities. Working closely with animators, riggers, designers and programmers, you will be handling mocap data, lip sync and facial animation systems, animation rigs, physics rigs, animation trees and dynamic objects.
Toronto, ON, Canada
Jun 30, 2023
As a Technical Animator, you will be supporting while innovating animation systems and activities. Working closely with animators, riggers, designers and programmers, you will be handling mocap data, lip sync and facial animation systems, animation rigs, physics rigs, animation trees and dynamic objects. In this role, you will follow, refine or establish pipelines for both conventional and innovative features.
What you’ll do as a Technical Animator:
- Create and document the technical charter of the animation based on the creative, artistic, and technical direction (documents, reference games, new development requests) while being able to explain technical aspects to Animators, animation aspects to engineers, and all aspects to game designers;
- Master the engine and animation tools in terms of knowing the limits and propagating the corresponding changes to pipelines;
- Improve or create pipelines for special features;
- Create plug-ins and / or scripts to automate tasks;
- Oversee smooth cross-software development (i.e. 3dsmax-Maya-Motionbuilder transition of skinned mesh);
- Test work in-game to provide feedback and suggestions;
- Work with physics systems for rigid/soft bodies, hair, and cloth;
- Work with animation graphs, scripted game events, etc.
What to send our way:
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped;
- A strong portfolio or demo reel
- We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences. If you are excited about the role, we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the qualifications listed below.
- Scripting skills (MEL/Python/Lua, etc.);
- Understanding of object oriented programming;
- Understanding of fundamental animation principles;
- Understanding of fundamental Rigging principles;
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with Artists and Software Engineers;
- Relevant software experience - Motionbuilder, 3DSMax or Maya, and game engines;
- Strong problem solving mindset;
- Adaptability, suppleness, flexibility, open mind;
- Open to constructive criticism;
- Good collaboration with members of the animation team and other team members on the project.
- College diploma in 3D animation techniques for video games or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in video game technical animation, or any other relevant experience.