Wondery is looking for a writer, editor and manager to help produce its slate of miniseries, like as The Shrink Next Door, Dr Death, Do No Harm and Jacked.
Greater Los Angeles Area, Greater New York City Area
Aug 31, 2022
We are looking for a candidate who loves non-fiction character-driven audio storytelling and understands how to convey complex information in a dramatic, accurate, and emotionally engaging way.
This role can be either based in Los Angeles, CA or New York, NY.
Key job responsibilities
- Work with Producers, Associate Producers and Reporters to develop and manage reporting strategy, production, writing and delivery.
- Work with writers and editors to establish framing, structure, and tone for each series
- Edit and provide detailed feedback on outlines, scripts, and sonically immersive mixes
- Direct recording sessions with hosts
- Manage editorial pipeline and production calendar
A day in the life
- You will play a critical role in producing our original miniseries.
- Working closely with the Head of Miniseries, you will oversee multiple series from initial idea to delivery. You will lead production teams of Associate Producers and Producers on 2-3 projects at once.
- You will work to develop reporting strategies, ensure the accuracy of the reporting, shape story structure, tone and voice of each series, as well as edit, direct hosting and sound design and oversee final delivery.
The Miniseries team is a collaborative team that produces diverse, well-told stories in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Experience as a producer/production manager/line producer or experience in production risk management
- 6+ years experience with budgeting, scheduling and cost reports
- Bachelors degree (English, journalism, film studies, theater or related field)
- 5+ years writing or editing longform narrative journalism
- 3+ years experience in screenwriting, playwriting, or documentary film-making
- 2+ years experience producing longform narrative in the audio space
- Skilled in project/time management and proven ability to produce creative work under deadline
- Understanding of three-act structure and how to tell a story through a character’s limited POV instead of omniscient narration
- Experience working across narrative genres with a basis in fact – history, science, business, and others
- Proficient interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively manage a range of personality types