The Senior Accounting Manager will assist the Controller in managing all of the accounting functions for ILM including some of its subsidiaries. These functions include monthly general ledger close, accounts payable, payroll/labor costing, fixed assets, revenue recognition, consolidations and all related activities.
We are looking for a Senior Accounting Manager who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Senior Accounting Manager will assist the Controller in managing all of the accounting functions for ILM including some of its subsidiaries. These functions include monthly general ledger close, accounts payable, payroll/labor costing, fixed assets, revenue recognition, consolidations and all related activities. The role will also be integral in helping to re-evaluate and improve on processes in conjunction with ILM’s conversion to Oracle cloud. ILM has studios worldwide and the role will include coordinating with our foreign studios local finance teams and assisting in integrating/set up of new studios (currently India), as necessary.
ILM’s finance and accounting managers are expected to be hands-on ---not just managing other people’s work but also performing processes with either primary responsibility or as back up, as necessary.
What You’ll Do
Month End Close/Management Reporting/Quarterly Reporting
- Assists in managing and performing month-end and quarter closes ensuring all necessary accounting processes are complete, journal entries posted and accounts reconciled. Person should expect to not only manage but perform month end activities alongside Controller and other team members.
- Help reconcile and ensure ILM Oracle systems and SAP systems are in balance.
- Assists in preparing and presenting monthly management reporting deck to Execution in Charge of Finance.
- Assists in quarterly/year end reporting to Disney.
- Assist in identifying and implementing process improvements in conjunction with ILM’s conversion to Oracle Fusion which should result in plenty of opportunities to streamline ILM’s antiquated processes –including moving from paper records to paperless.
- Recommend and identify ways to more efficiently utilize accounting and finance tools to standardize recurring monthly, quarterly and annual accounting transactions.
- Help manage getting processes documented.
- Directly manage 2.5 person accounts payable team responsible for performing duties related to the accounts payable function including reviewing invoices, expense reports, obtaining approvals, tracking purchase orders, managing credit cards and payment processing.
- Shared responsibility with other Finance/Accounting team members for signing weekly checks and uploading/entering &/or approving wires in online banking portals for various accounts.
- Oversee/improve processes related to 1099 and particularly 1042 reporting. Disney handles actual issuance of forms.
- Directly manage the FA GL accountant responsible for performing duties related to Fixed Assets for US/UK and Vancouver studios including preparing monthly additions and disposals; running depreciation, reconciling FA ledger to GL, booking USD historical FX true ups, and working with local IT to ensure Assets are properly tagged.
- Train as backup in performing certain Fixed Asset functions.
- Coordinate periodic inventories with IT in accordance with Disney studio’s rotation plan.
- Calculate and book ILM US monthly contract revenue recognition and over/under entries (rotate responsibility with Controller).
- Review revenue recognition entries prepared by Australia, UK and Vancouver teams.
Payroll Interfaces/Labor Costs Accounting
- Train as backfill for the weekly interfaces of payroll from SAP; the H2G labor reclass to projects and the burdening processes. Learning will require doing the processes for a while and then transitioning to only doing on a periodic or rotational basis, as needed.
- Coordinate, prepare and/or provide supporting documentation related to transfer pricing activities to external transfer pricing consultants, as necessary.
- Periodically update transfer pricing license fees charged to subsidiaries for proprietary software.
- Work with legal department to obtain transfer pricing agreements for new transfer pricing activity.
- Liaise with foreign subsidiaries as necessary.
- Help integrate and set up foreign studios (ie while local teams are being established).
- Complete special projects and AD Hoc reports for ILM or Disney parent, as requested.
- Coordinate obtaining and/or provide supporting documentation to internal/external tax providers, internal auditors, external auditors and foreign studio statutory auditors, as needed.
- Train as backfill for Controller and other Accounting roles, as necessary.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance
- CPA/public accounting audit experience highly preferred
- Eight or more years related finance/accounting and/or audit experience including proven track record of managing a team
- Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment where priorities must be continually reevaluated and adapted as possible.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be flexible and have the ability to work well as part of a team
- Diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality, versatility and reliability are critical
- Ability to operate well in an environment of change and occasional ambiguity
- Ability to guide and explain to non-finance people financial requirements, procedures and rules.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Windows, Excel and MS Word
- Experience with Oracle (converting from EBS to Fusion version) and SAP, preferred
- Experience with financial reporting tools – TM1, Discoverer etc
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of US GAAP (books maintained in accordance with US GAAP for Walt Disney consolidated
- Project Accounting and/or prior entertainment industry experience a plus.
- Experience working with F/X accounting and translations
The hiring range for this position in San Francisco is $144,200 to $180,300 per year.