The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a social video producer to create and shape video journalism efforts for the largest news organization in Arizona.
Phoenix, Arizona Area
Oct 12, 2022
Details about the job, duties and who we are looking for:
- The Republic seeks a social video producer who works closely with the visual editors to create and expand a social visual brand for azcentral.com.
- We want to try new things and are looking for someone who puts our current and potential audiences first and wants to meet them on whatever platform they are on, but especially visual platforms. The position demands initiative, flexibility, accuracy, urgency and insight.
- We hope you are someone who likes to experiment, but also knows how to evaluate and iterate on ideas. You should also have an interest in distributing and building on the driven, timely and investigative work produced by The Arizona Republic to existing and new audiences.
- Our social video producer is a core part of our visual strategy, pitching dynamic visuals to the broader newsroom and collaborating with reporters, editors and leaders to create compelling stories via existing and new social visual platforms. They also train others in the newsroom in social video storytelling and operations.
- This position would need to context switch regularly, keeping a shared vision for video and social media in mind. You’ll work with videographers, producers, reporters, editors and strategists to ensure that we have news available to our audiences as soon as they are looking for it.
Traits, knowledge and skills we are looking for:
- Comfort with flexing different skill sets (and learning new ones)
- Comfort in context switching through a single day, as determined by news and other priorities.
- Comfortable talking to and interviewing people, often other journalists, in front of and behind the camera
- A keen eye for telling innovative and interesting stories using multimedia.
- Passion for teaching and mentoring others.
- Is flexible with time, coachable and is receptive to constructive feedback.
- A love of serving information needs with stories but also solutions and conversation through traditional journalism, but also social visual formats
- Experience creating and producing live and news videos.
- The ability to quickly edit video from others, whether police or the public, into a format that conforms to journalistic ethics and standards.
- Interest and/or experience in producing live events, shooting live shots, streaming to multiple social platforms.
- A background in video production or social video preferred.
- Our 130-person newsroom is mission-driven and passionate about storytelling. The Republic is a multi-platform, digital-first newsroom and our editors work on print, online and other formats throughout their day.
- This position works collaboratively as part of a larger visuals team with two strategists directing photographers and video journalists.
- Manage and create content for social video platforms, including Instagram Reels and TikTok
- Collaborate with editors, reporters, visuals and producers to come up with unique ways to reach our audiences
- Contribute to live programming for azcentral.com, in-studio and on-scene, via social media channels.
- Create, optimize, aggregate and package video for digital publication.
- Elevate the quality of existing video programming, launch new programming and grow The Republic’s video storytelling audience.
- Collaborate across the newsroom on video storytelling and packaging for daily news and long-term projects.
- With the video strategist, director of innovation and engagement editor, develop a strategy for emerging platforms and a growth model for key audience segments.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise or interest in learning to operate Livestream studio operations including live recording, live stream software, mixers and grid lighting, Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and Audition.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the big news stories.
- Strong news judgment and editing skills.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Able to use analytics to help further coverage strategy.
- Able to work occasional late nights as needed by the news cycle.
- Time flexibility is a must.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.