We’re looking for an editor to help distribute MSNBC's best stories and reporting across its social media accounts, homepage and newsletters. Working weekends, you will be part of a small but dedicated crew that is crucial in keeping our highly-engaged audiences up to date.
Do you have a proven track record of reporting on a variety of topics with speed, accuracy and flair on social media? Are you a news junkie who cares deeply about social issues, breaking news, politics, public health, climate and international stories, and thinks creatively about how to distribute them to large social audiences? Do you thrive on building audience, reach and engagement for news brands in ever-evolving digital spaces?
You will juggle posting breaking news to multiple social platforms, with a particular focus on MSNBC’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. When you're not posting to social, you’ll be updating the MSNBC homepage.
The position is a full-time staff position based in New York, but candidates from around the country will be considered. It will require working Saturday and Sunday.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
- Distributing breaking news and original reporting via MSNBC’s social accounts, with a particular focus on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Curating the MSNBC homepage with a mix of video, blogs and columns.
- Writing compelling, accurate and responsible social posts and headlines that engage our audiences.
- Headline writing and a/b testing.
- Help organize editorial planning across the weekend; execute promotion of weekend network specials
- Engaging with real-time analytics and tracking audience behavior to help inform promotion and optimization opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and comparable work experience.
- Two or more years working in a digital newsroom. One or more years working in social media desirable.
- Experience building social media audiences across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and TikTok.
- Editing in a newsroom environment preferred, including experience with breaking news.
- Experience and comfort with working independently and multi-tasking during high-pressure situations.
- Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but highly rewarding news environment.
- A deep knowledge about social media and the latest trends in digital media.
- An awareness of NBC News and MSNBC personalities and brands.
Strong organizational, analytical, and communication