TheGrio is looking for a social media associate producer for all social platforms. This individual will work primarily with theGrio Social Team on daily news content so must be adept at all major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok).
Greater Atlanta Area
May 24, 2022
They will support the social media team in writing, shooting, and editing original social videos. We're looking for an innovative person who is a social-first news consumer, a strong storyteller, and someone who doesn’t just execute assignments but is willing to contribute recommendations and ideas. This role is a vital part of our daily editorial operation and is intended for a candidate with a passion for news and original content creation. It is critical that this person has excellent news judgment covering a range of subjects including Black culture, politics, entertainment, social justice, health, business, higher education issues, etc.
This position can be based in Atlanta, Washington DC, Los Angeles, or New York
- Write and produce social content under tight deadline pressure
- Optimize video content for digital audiences
- Regularly monitor news and social media to identify and quickly produce breaking stories
- Support production of all deliverables from conception to completion
- Ensuring the accurate and timely management of the library, archive, and music material
- Maintaining standards and practice guidelines.
- Proactively supporting a healthy newsroom culture with high performance and quality commitments.
- Fact-checking and pre-production of short-form news segments
- Help identify the visual elements needed to create a complete segment
- Helping the team work through technical issues and anticipate technical needs.
- Stays up to date on news and current affairs pertaining to Black America and the diaspora.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in journalism or writing
- Adept at current news in politics, pop culture, music, sports, and always keeping a pulse on Twitter trending topics, internet and meme culture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a thorough grasp of spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Solid news judgment and a commitment to ethical and accurate journalism
- Able to easily articulate ideas and craft original and thought-provoking angles
- Equally able to work independently and collaboratively, and adhere to deadlines
- Photography skills are a plus
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Highly organized in the curation of project files and archives
- Ability to take direction and efficiently implement feedback
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Knowledge and passion for Black culture
- Enthusiastic work ethic with a detail-oriented approach
- Proficiency in WordPress is a plus
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours as needed including weekends, holidays, and overnights, under tight deadline pressure, occasionally with little or no warning as needed for essential publication