The Strategist is seeking a Writer who can own our sleep product coverage, which includes mattresses, pillows, sleep aids, and adjacent products. A companion to New York Magazine's award-winning print section of the same name, The Strategist offers rigorously vetted articles to help readers navigate the vast online shopping landscape.
The Strategist is seeking a Writer who can own our sleep product coverage, which includes mattresses, pillows, sleep aids, and adjacent products. A companion to New York Magazine's award-winning print section of the same name, The Strategist offers rigorously vetted articles to help readers navigate the vast online shopping landscape. Our goal is to find the stuff out there that is actually worth buying — essential products that are really good and that we fully believe in — alongside the things you never knew you needed.
WHO WE ARE
The Strategist is New York Magazine’s site for rigorously reported service journalism that helps readers shop smartly. Its writers and editors surface the stuff that is actually worth buying, alongside all sorts of things you never knew you needed.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write and/or update 4-5 shopping stories per week, most of which require a combination of interviewing experts, requesting product samples, testing products on your own, and providing guidelines for testing across the wider staff
- Closely monitor shopping trends, product launches, and consumer habits on your beat and pitch relevant stories
- Work on 1-2 long-term, ambitious editorial projects a year, while balancing short-term assignments
- Perform additional responsibilities, as assigned by editors
WHO YOU ARE
- 3+ years of professional journalism experience, especially e-commerce and/or service journalism
- Keen interest and understanding of sleep products, especially mattresses and pillows, preferred — but not required
- Familiarity with the Strategist’s voice and approach to service journalism, including the ability to understand and translate product specs and technical jargon into reader-friendly service — with a hint of healthy skepticism toward bold marketing claims
- Ability to work independently, especially around coming up with plans for product testing
- Enthusiasm for developing and maintaining a wide network of sources, including medical professionals, academics, and other professionally sleep-obsessed people
- Excellent communication and task management skills, especially in working with a distributed team across time zones
- Strong and fast-paced writing skills for a digital publication
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
Pay Range: $74,000—$80,000 USD