As an integral part of the artistic development process at Disney Live Entertainment, Show Directors are responsible for ideating, developing and providing creative direction on a wide range of entertainment projects.
As an integral part of the artistic development process at Disney Live Entertainment, Show Directors are responsible for ideating, developing and providing creative direction on a wide range of entertainment projects. These projects may include: character experiences, stage and atmosphere shows, as well as on-site and off-site conventions and special events that serve the business needs of Retail, Marketing, Public Relations and Public Affairs partners. From inception through production, Show Directors lead all aspects of large and small memorable Guest experiences that are innovative, experiential and immersive. The Show Directors are responsible for establishing and maintaining Entertainment Show Quality standards in partnership with entertainment operational areas.
You will report to the Senior Manager Creative Dev & GTP/!C
What You Will Do
- The Show Director is responsible for developing new and relevant entertainment concepts.
- The role requires flexibility and a willingness to adapt to shifting priorities and business needs.
- The Show Director provides creative direction on the execution of approved shows and/or events – driving their projects from inception through production.
- This includes idea generating, development of treatments and scripts, casting, leading rehearsals and ensuring the sustainability and excellence of performances.
- Accountability includes providing direction and collaborating extensively with multiple partners before and during production, including Production teams, Designers, Artists, Music Directors, Writers, Choreographers, Maintenance Choreographers, Talent Casting, Clients, Producers, and Sales Managers as appropriate.
- Show Directors collaborate closely in the selection of creative teams with the Creative Director, Producer and/or entertainment executive.
- Other responsibilities include establishing entertainment show quality standards with the operational areas to ensure ongoing show quality is maintained.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum of five years proven professional experience developing original material, directing live entertainment experiences in theatre and/or directing experience of industrial show products
- Proven knowledge of creative writing, understanding of the craft of stage performance, musical theatre, and technical theatre/stage craft
- Knowledge of entertainment production and/or operations in a professional theatrical, theme park, and/or cruise line environment
- Proven innovation and creativity in past live entertainment productions
- Ability to understand client needs and develop ideas to meet their objectives
- Proven excellent communication skills and strong presentational skills, including experience with articulating an artistic concept to executive leaders, partners and clients
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work professionally with diverse groups of people
- Inspiring team player with strong interpersonal skills and positive attitude
- Demonstrated ability to interface with all levels of management
- Working knowledge of standard business practices and procedures
- Adaptability to wide variety of work environments
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Willingness to work nights and holidays
- Demonstrated strong grammatical knowledge. Fluency in additional languages a plus.
- Demonstrated strong computer proficiency
- Prior Disney experience and/or knowledge of the Disney brand
- Prior theme park show director experiences
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in theatrical field
- Masters of Fine Arts in theatre field or equivalent
The hiring range for this position in California is $92,800.00-$124,400.00.