This Is Nashville: The Senior Producer will work side by side with the host of This Is Nashville, Khalil Ekulona, in shaping and executing the vision and future of the program and will report to Nashville Public Radio’s COO.
WPLN’s daily show, This Is Nashville, serves the Middle Tennessee region with insightful and engaging conversations on a wide range of topics, plus in-depth original reporting and the latest on the day's top news. As the senior producer, you'll be responsible for building relationships with key sources to support our multimedia producers in finding the perfect guests for the week’s shows.
This is not your typical talk show. We strive to hear the voices of all Middle Tennesseans, not just the talking heads spouting opinions or dull experts speaking in dulcet tones. People who didn't already listen to NPR have come to love This Is Nashville and the ways the show advances the conversations and debates happening in neighborhoods, homes and workplaces through authenticity, levity and most importantly, creativity.
This position leads the production team with a staff of three multimedia producers, a technical director and contract contributors. The Senior Producer will work side by side with the host of This Is Nashville, Khalil Ekulona, in shaping and executing the vision and future of the program and will report to Nashville Public Radio’s COO. You'll also have access to the talent and creativity of our music discovery station, WNXP, and you can expand on the newsroom's community engagement partnerships, including a regular collaboration with Nashville Noticias. Knowledge of Nashville and Middle Tennessee is a plus, but not a requirement.
This is an ideal job for someone with a reporting or show-producing background, and/or possesses a knack for creating innovative ideas that are so outside of the box, the box doesn’t exist. Are you someone who can do the following?
- Creatively determine who are the best people in the moment to answer the pressing questions
- Build relationships with people in all communities, especially minority communities and others typically underrepresented in public media (e.g. rural communities)
- Assess source diversity of show guests and help maintain a guest list that reflects all Nashvillians and Middle Tennesseans
- Plan long-term with an upcoming events calendar and prepare shows on these timely topics
- Be bold, professional and confident with all manner of guests and smoothly handle all logistical details
What would you be doing?
Here are the job responsibilities for the senior producer of This Is Nashville:
- Work 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with nights and weekends as necessary.
- Produce at least 1 live show per week
- Produce sound-rich features and scenes
- Work with host to coordinate with and manage freelancers and interns
- When producing an episode, identify, book and ensure that the guest(s) is prepared technically to be interviewed — either live or recorded
- Prepare the host and others for the show with background, research and context.
- Edit the host’s script to time and on deadline for air, as needed
- Prepare the audio or outtakes for any on-demand audio or web use
- Adapt segments and features for use across digital platforms: In addition to the radio show, your work will live on our website and on social media.
- Help develop a production schedule for special projects and recurring segments
- Spend time reporting out in the field, building and maintaining new source relationships with underrepresented communities
- Help foster a positive workplace culture, in the building and out