Senior Matchmove/Layout Artists independently create camera moves and rough blocking animation within a digital environment.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dec 13, 2022
Senior MM/Layout Artists work closely with the Animation Director and Visual Effects Supervisor to establish composition, timing, and continuity for each shot. May be required to work with live-action plates or in a CG layout environment.
Senior MM/Layout Artists act as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements. While matchmoving is one requirement of the position, Senior MM/Layout Artists may perform tasks outside of matchmoving including CG layout, modeling set geometry, photomodeling, lidar solves, previz, and basic lighting & compositing.
What You’ll Do
- Independently performs complex matchmove tasks such as camera tracking, character matching (matchanim), solving lens distortion, deformation matching of surfaces, solving native stereo plates
- Multi-plate splicing and stitching, adding creative plate post-moves, creative stereo (i.e. Technical layout)
- Previz, postviz and techviz (prep for location shooting or ride development); Process inbound/outbound moco data
- Photomodels, performs environment/scene setup verifying correct assets are being used, edit ranges are correct, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing, set dressing (i.e. Scene setup)
- Creates creative camera work for non-plate shots and camera takeover shots with minimal guidance; originate entirely CG camera animation (i.e. CG camera work)
- Solve facial animation from face cams (i.e. face-capture)
- Independently set up the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show
- Convert background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography; animate any live action character or relative object in the scene
- Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors
- Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
- Mentor Junior Layout Artists
- Special projects as needed
What We’re Looking For
- At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education
- Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment
- Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives
- Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required
Nice to have:
- Location and/or Stage experience including matchmove set ups; data wrangling hdr/digimatte/texture/pmodel photography; lidar scanning; lens grid filming; on-stage (real-time) camera capture/assistance.
- Knowledge of Nuke is a plus