NBC’s Entertainment Group is looking for a passionate Senior Editor, Digital with solid experience in the entertainment, pop culture, and/or lifestyle space to help grow NBC.com’s editorial content.
In this role, you’ll be creating engaging digital content around NBC Entertainment shows and talent, with a focus on reality competition programming. Leading a team of full-time and freelance contributors, you’ll be tasked with building the original editorial presence for NBC.com, including assigning, copy editing, and approving all published stories.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, you’ll be a strong, quick writer with great news judgment. You’ll have a sharp eye for identifying compelling news stories, writing clean and clickable headlines, and editing the work of others to make each story the best it can be. You'll be expected to marry your editorial instincts with a healthy dose of data to help guide your decision making, both in daily content selection as well as long-term content planning.
As part of the larger Marketing team, you’ll be expected to craft compelling content that energizes the NBC audience and drives awareness to our linear programming, digital platforms, and other business priorities. The ideal candidate is keyed into NBC Entertainment’s current and past programming, with a deep understanding of entertainment and pop culture trends.
- Identifying and executing entertainment and lifestyle stories, including daily news and long-term features
- Creating and managing an editorial calendar; assigning stories, reviewing pitches, and editing the work of other full-time and freelance writers
- Using analytics to inform content strategy
- Managing a team of two Associate Editors and additional freelance writers
- Crafting social copy to promote all written content; assisting with posting to platforms as needed
- Coordinating relevant media with Photo and Video teams, including selecting the best images to tell the story
- Conducting interviews with talent, covering events as needed, working after hours and weekends on occasion
- Staying up to date on all the happenings in the NBC Entertainment universe, in real-time and by watching the linear episodes
- Working cross-functionally with teams outside our group including Brand Creative, Social Media, Communications, and Production
- At least 5 years’ experience writing for established digital outlets, including publishing within a CMS; at least 1-2 years’ experience editing and managing other writers
- A strong background writing entertainment, pop culture, and celebrity content in a fast-paced digital news setting, demonstrated experience creating timely content under deadline pressure
- A proven track record of strong news judgment with the ability to craft concise, clickable headlines
- Experience reporting, interviewing, and working directly with talent and publicists
- Working knowledge of social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Business Manager, Twitter, TikTok)
- Experience using data analytics (including Parse.ly, Chartbeat, DOMO, Omniture) to contribute to editorial strategy and inform content decisions
- Comfortable working with data team to run custom analyses
- The ability to work alongside peers and influence team decisions
- Experience managing an editorial calendar and assigning daily/long-term stories a plus
- Experience using Drupal Content Management System is helpful but not essential
- Knowledge of video production and YouTube is a plus
- Experience in the e-commerce space and working with brands on sponsored content is a plus
- A detailed knowledge of and passion for the NBC Entertainment universe is a huge plus