The Goodman Theatre is searching for a Scene Shop Apprentice to join our scene shop staff. This position provides an opportunity to develop scenery construction skills and gain experience working in a professional theatrical scene shop.
The Goodman Theatre is searching for a Scene Shop Apprentice to join our scene shop staff. This position provides an opportunity to develop scenery construction skills and gain experience working in a professional theatrical scene shop. The Scene Shop Apprentice will work collaboratively with the Technical Director and production staff to construct, load-in, maintain and load-out scenery for the 9-showsubscription season, including our annual production of A Christmas Carol, at the Goodman Theatre. This position can require some evening and weekend hours on an as needed basis.
· Participate in the build, load in, and load out of scenic elements for the Goodman’s Albert and Owen productions.
· Assist in maintaining a clean and safe scene shop, loading dock, and backstage work areas.
· Follow safety practices including, but not limited to: Eye protection, respirator/masks, blade guards, ladder usage, fall protection, and proper lifting practices.
· Pick up supplies as needed from local vendors.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Knowledge of theatrical procedures used in scenic construction, finish carpentry, metalworking, stage rigging, and automation/motion control is beneficial
· Ability to repeatedly lift, push or maneuver 50-70 lbs either alone or with assistance from others as well as scale ladders and work in high places
· Work collaboratively as a team member and maintain a positive attitude
· Valid driver’s license required
This position is covered by our collective bargaining agreement with IATSE, Local 2. Goodman Theatre offers a benefits package including health, dental, and 401K with this position.