Walt Disney Animation Studios has an exciting opportunity for experienced Rigging TDs to join the team at our Vancouver, BC studio. At Walt Disney Animation Studios, Rigging TDs work on Character Rigging, Simulation Setup, and Technical Animation.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Feb 15, 2023
Our rigs are tactile, sculptural, intuitive interfaces for posing the character. Our ideal candidate is self-motivated with strong artistic skills built on top of a solid technical foundation. You will work closely with the industry's top talent in fields ranging from design and modeling through animation to bring our characters to life.
Hybrid and Remote opportunities for our Vancouver Studio are specific to remote work within the province of British Columbia.
- Build an intuitive interface for posing a character that maintains appeal and design throughout its range of motion
- Author clean deformations with hand sculpted shapes that perform with consistency and predictability
- Shepard the rig build process, starting with geometry received from modeling all the way through delivering a final rig to animation which requires an ability to debug broken or poorly functioning assets/shots with minimal supervision
- Work closely with the character teams (comprised of visual development, modeling, simulation, look development, animation, and technical animation), iterating quickly and addressing notes accurately
- Contribute to our codebase in a way that others can build off of, taking input from peers and building tools around consensus
- Solid understanding of the principles of animation and design
- Extensive knowledge of anatomy, kinematics, and physical behaviors
- Expertise in facial rigging that leans heavily on sculpting appealing shapes on top of a clean and stable deformation base
- Attention to detail focused on delivering a quality product
- Solid understanding of Python scripting
- Experience on 5+ CG feature film productions
- Experience working in collaborative environments and taking direction
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Comfort with Linux environments
- Previous leadership experience is a plus
- Experience in modeling, sculpting, and creating blendshapes are a plus
- Experience in animation is a plus
- Experience in hair or cloth simulation is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Art, Illustration, Computer Graphics, Engineering, related field or equivalent experience