WUSA9, TEGNA’s flagship CBS station, is looking for a smart, self-starter with a background/interest in digital and research to join our content discovery desk team as a part-time digital editor focused on weekend news coverage.
WUSA9, TEGNA’s flagship CBS station, is looking for a smart, self-starter with a background/interest in digital and research to join our content discovery desk team as a part-time digital editor focused on weekend news coverage. The position is an opportunity to get hands-on experience in two roles in the newsroom.
This position requires producing original content across all of WUSA9’s digital platforms, gathering information, answering phones, identifying breaking stories on police scanners, managing content produced by others, including copy editing for our various desktop/mobile/social platforms, bringing in live shots from various sources and live streaming. The position is responsible for assigning and dispatching crews, assisting crews with contacts, and research.
The ideal candidate for this position is an innovative journalist who thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves to inspire, inform and make a positive impact on our audience and community. You must be a strong writer and copy editor with excellent editorial judgment, time management and multi-tasking skills. A successful candidate will also help enterprise news through beat calls, social media and cultivated sources. This person works well under pressure and is available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays. Video editing skills are a plus.
• Write and post stories to all WUSA9 digital/mobile/social platforms.
• Identify stories on police scanners.
• Answer phones
• Research/confirm breaking news as it happens and report online.
• Move broadcast crews to breaking news stories and ensure they have all the details confirmed
• Monitor news releases, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other online news sources.
• Use social media mining tools to discover unique content for coverage.
• Work with all newsroom departments on content coverage
• Coordinate live streams of news events with a heavy emphasis on breaking news
• Send push alerts to breaking news stories/ high-interest content
• Identify compelling, unique stories and user-generated content of interest to our audience
• Pitch story ideas in daily editorial meetings
• Work with reporters to develop assigned stories
• Cultivate trustworthy sources
• Be an ethical journalist
• Prior newsroom experience, with at least 1 year digital and/or assignment desk experience
• Excellent writing (stories, social, push notifications), editing and proofreading skills
• Strong knowledge of AP Style
• Proficiency in SEO best practices, video optimization and livestreaming a plus
• Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
• Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent experience required
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to prioritize and manage requests from various sources with an ability to work well with varied personalities within deadlines
• Self-starter who can work well as a member of a team
• Deadline-driven and able to multitask/perform well in a fast-paced environment
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule as warranted by vacations/breaking news coverage (this role involves weekend shifts)