This position is responsible for all technical direction of locally produced programming include news broadcasts, commercials, promotions, public services productions and special events both live and pre-recorded.
Albuquerque, New Mexico Area
Apr 14, 2022
This position is also responsible for studio production elements as well as the operation of studio cameras and production equipment for live and recorded television newscasts.
- Direct live and taped programming within format guidelines including newscasts, commercial production and station promotions. Operates board. Assumes responsibility of newscasts and other programs. Offers suggestions for improvement.
- Responsible for ensuring all aspects of the program are complete before the program begins. Plan details such as framing, composition, camera movement, sound, for each shot or scene. Solves problems at the source. Challenges others to improve.
- Along with producer, establish pace of newscasts and sequences of segments according to time requirements and accessibility. Ensures program runs smoothly during live broadcasts.
- Handles last minute and unexpected changes in a professional manner during live broadcasts. Communicates calmly, quickly and clearly to all involved as needed.
- Maintains high knowledge of equipment. Notifies Operations Manager of equipment needs and problems. Ensures equipment is maintained.
- Keeps up to date with new technology by reading trade publications and attends local equipment demonstrations.
- Ability to relate and communicate in a productive manner to a variety of people including on air talent, visitors, production crew, producers, creative services and management.
- Operate and move TV cameras (studio and remote) and teleprompter.
- Floor direct for live and pre-recorded productions following scripts, verbal commands and non-verbal cues.
- Communicate clearly and quickly using verbal and non-verbal cues to talent.
- Partner with peers, on-air talent, producers, directors, managers, and members of the public to help ensure a professional TV newscast/show is produced.
- Assist talent as needed or directed by supervisor.
- Set-up props, furniture and other items including building, lifting, arranging, lighting and cabling needed for production. Tear down, clean, and removal of same.
- Communicate supply and material needs.
- Maintain studio by cleaning, storage, maintenance, and organizing equipment and set materials.
- Respond and work well in a crisis and during breaking news. Handle last minute and unexpected changes.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed. May travel and work on location but only on a very limited basis and in special circumstances.
- High school diploma or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Previous experience directing preferred.
- Prior television production experience helpful.
- Must have knowledge of broadcast production equipment, techniques and language or be able to learn.
- Ability to work well with people while handling stressful situations. Ability to work effectively in a high intensity environment.
- Computer experience needed.
- Must be able to work various hours including mornings, weekends, and holidays. Schedules may vary.
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Work with time sensitive information under tight deadlines and in pressure situations
- Ability to read, hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written direction.
- Ability to think critically and quickly and to articulate information in clear, concise manner to others.
- Physical Requirements:
- Manual dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate computer keys, studio cameras, camera pedestals, teleprompter and board controls as well as general office equipment (telephone, printers/copiers, etc.) for extended periods of time.
- Must wear headset during course of work.
- Sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Above average pushing and pulling, bending and stooping. Climbs ladders. Lift up to 20 lbs. alone.
- The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.