TheGrio is looking for a programming producer/writer comfortable with an emphasis on Black stories from across the globe. The ideal candidate will write in an editorial style for the platform.
Greater Atlanta Area
Jun 01, 2023
TheGrio is looking for a programming producer/writer comfortable with an emphasis on Black stories from across the globe. The ideal candidate will write in an editorial style for the platform. We are seeking a reliable self-starter to work alongside a shift-based team to contribute content that is accurate, vital, and indispensable.
This position is based in Atlanta.
- Knowledge and passion for Black culture, history, and current events
- Ability to write scripts, packages and segments
- Understands concise writing for broadcast
- Pitches and develops segments and show ideas
- Identifies, researches, and develops the strongest elements for each segment
- Crafts headlines and teases that are engaging no matter the time constraint – for both breaking news and scheduled programming
- Works with Senior Producer and Executive Producer to build accurate daily rundowns
- Managers and stacks the show rundown
- Serve as a second eye to Senior Producer to ensure the rundown is complete prior to show recording
- Expected to booth the show daily and ensure the broadcast record is within time limits
- Communicate with the studio crew, talent, and team during record on Unity app
- Identifies clips for promo and social media purposes
- Strong knowledge of defamation and copyright law
- Adhere to the journalistic tenets of balance, fairness, and accuracy
- Assist in booking and vetting guests, including cold calling
- Knowledge and passion for the culture, history, and current affairs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and take initiative
- Solid news judgment and grasp of journalism best practices
- Excellent writing skills, spelling, and grammar
- Ability to work well with others under strict deadlines
- Maintains ethical journalism standards
- Works as a team player capable of clearly communicating with key stakeholders
- Has a firm understanding of rights and clearances
- Bachelor's degree required
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience writing for broadcast television
- Applicant must be based in Atlanta.
- This is currently a remote position