What we’re looking for: The Producer, Segments is responsible for producing content for daily news talk show and booking guests.
Greater Los Angeles Area
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the viewer experience.
- Book compelling guests that may include elected officials, community leaders, academics, journalists, artists and others from local, state and national levels.
- Identify and pitch story ideas and/or work on assigned stories.
- Develop, cultivate and maintain contacts/sources.
- Work with outside organizations and sources to develop story ideas.
- Gather and spearhead production of visual elements for segments – graphics, video, soundbites, etc.
- Gather, curate and update research for show host.
- Serve as point of contact between guests, show producers and host.
- Book last-minute guests for breaking news events and guest drop outs/swaps during show taping, live airings, evenings and/or weekends.
- Adapt and respond to any and all show production needs in both taped and live settings.
- Field produce as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Interpersonal skills; has contact with media and general public with excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Familiarity with the local market
- Familiarity with IRE best practices
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Communication and collaboration skills; demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Ability to anticipate situations, meet strict deadlines, organize and manage multiple priorities
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends
- Pro-active with demonstrated enthusiasm in dealing with breaking news and high-stress situations
- Ability to effectively train others
- Strong knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and non-linear editing system
- Knowledge of legal standards to ensure editorial guidelines of all segments
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
- 5+ years of television news producing experience
- 3+ years of documentaries producing experience
- 3+ years of investigative producing
- Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
- Normal office environment
- Works primarily inside a climate controlled environment throughout the year but might be assigned field duties on occasion
- Works in an open newsroom setting with a semi-noisy environment
- May be required to lift up to 5 pounds
- Must be able to distinguish colors and discern sounds
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Ability work weekends and holidays
- Varying schedule as a result of changing production, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
Our Commitment During COVID-19 Your health and safety is important to us, as such we’re using virtual recruiting tools to safely meet with qualified candidates. We are working in the office, following CDC guidelines.