TEGNA’s Producer-in-Residence (PIR) program is now hiring the 60 best and brightest entry-level journalists to join the largest and most successful media producer development program in the country. We’re looking for college seniors or graduate-level students with journalism or related degrees graduating between Dec 2022 and May 2023.
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Dec 28, 2022
Jun 26, 2023
We’re also looking for current producers with fewer than two years of professional producing experience for stations or digital media. TEGNA interviews only the best candidates from hundreds of applicants and has them complete a timed writing assessment to judge their abilities to write across platforms. TEGNA selects the top 60 to join one of its more than 40 newsrooms across the country. If you want boring, traditional newscasts and digital stories, this is not for you. If you like writing unique, compelling stories for a variety of platforms like TikTok, our streaming app or the 5 p.m. show, you should apply now.
It all starts June 26, 2023 with an eight-day virtual TEGNA boot camp where you learn in-person from the best journalists in the company how TEGNA’s culture, mission and ethics produce the most innovative local journalism anywhere, regardless of platform. Then you’ll move to your selected station where you begin a two-year contract learning how to produce content across every broadcast, digital and social platform TEGNA uses. The goal is to create the next great TEGNA content producer who can help the company transform content in the digital age while preparing you for promotion within two years into a regular producing role at any TEGNA station. More than 80-percent of all PIRs signed since 2018 have earned a promotion. The program puts you on a path to continued promotion into larger producer and news management roles across the company. If you want to produce exciting content on any platform to make your community better and learn how to do it from the most innovative local news journalists around, then PIR is your dream job.
• Live and work in one of more than 40 selected TEGNA markets to choose from
• Learn how to produce content across all broadcast, digital and social platforms TEGNA uses
• Provide consistent innovative ideas for telling stories, producing shows and creating captivating digital and social content
• Challenge traditional ways respectfully
• Attend virtual quarterly PIR trainings
• BA/BS in journalism or related field
• Experience in frequently writing original stories for college-level newscasts and/or digital news media
• Strong social media news presence with emphasis on using Instagram and TikTok to post innovative news content
• Internship or professional experience with media organizations preferred
• Knowledge of ENPS and Edius preferred
- Work Environment: Office
- Physical Demands: Sedentary work
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.